STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Thread: Memory usage

would have to only share under 3GB i guess, but i just want to be able to make huge maps and open most things needed. but i guess i would have to divide the map in pieces to share, . also noticed i can run 2 or more instances, so i guess a gm could set up the first half of adventure on one and pre set the 2nd on other FG screen, just means re logging into the 2nd on for players after 1st part done, maybe. i'm so new i have no idea. but happy as heck and on 2 weeks vacation from work. so already been 3 days into learning this. about 10 hrs of youtube vids watched.

Keep in mind that the player side is less efficient with handling shared resources than the GM side. So, even if the GM can get a stable 64-bit instance running way above 3GB, it’s possible that at least one of the players will have issues.

I know that the initial impulse is to load everything possible. But, do you really, really need it all loaded all at once? And do you really, really *need* huge maps? Be honest now! ;-)

Keep FG as lean-and-mean as is practical to enable your games to run smoothly and efficiently.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Only ever run one player instance on the same computer at the same time. One GM instance and one player instance (connected using localhost) is fine. Don’t connect 2 localhost player instances on the same computer - they will try to share local cached files and you have data corruption issues and probably player instance crashes. Stick to only 1 player instance at a time.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I guess i could use a website to show the large map and maybe images, to help keep the ram down in game and use smaller map parts.

and so i can use a GM FG screen and i can add a PC FC instance so i can play as a character with others too? is that what your saying Trenloe? if so cool. i dont have ultimate licence yet, plan to so my son can play too and even my daughter on laptop,

The main reason to run 2 instances of FG on the same computer is to have a player instance to show shared images/maps etc. to the players (if you’re playing face-to-face) or for the GM to learn/check what the players are seeing (I’d recommend doing this as you learn FG).

The GM can play PCs from their GM instance, so the player instance isn’t needed for that.

Don’t run 2 GM instances on the same computer at the same time, especially if players are trying to connect - you can’t guarantee which instance they’d connect to. Just stick with one GM instance, one set of campaign data, etc.. Use the FG sharing functionality to introduce the players to the information they discover. And remember to unshare stuff they no longer need access to.

Validate, did I just talk to you about PCGen recently in the Fan group?

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Validate, did I just talk to you about PCGen recently in the Fan group?
    no i dont think so, i joined the facebook groups but no posts yet.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    How big is your really big map?
    Is it a battle map?
    well my 2nd edition passion was always waterdeep and undermountain. my first plan is the city of waterdeep, making pins for all numbered buildings and random rules for all other buildings. with all pins going to a map, many to be the same type map. but random info, encounter and adventures in them.

then work on undermountain, i also have the worlds largest dungeon book, to help add to undermountain.

i see a long time to build this, and i need to some how divide it up into smaller pieces to make it playable 1-2 hr sessions i'm guessing, i fully intend to share the content too

Quote Originally Posted by validate View Post
    i'm i fully intend to share the content too
    Not if it is copyright material you won't.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information