5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Hide my external IP address from players

I do not want players to see my IP address when they connect to me - is there a way to mask this via fantasy grounds or do I need to use a VPN, etc?

Use a VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeous View Post
    I do not want players to see my IP address when they connect to me - is there a way to mask this via fantasy grounds or do I need to use a VPN, etc?
    Without a vpn your ip address is visible to anyone. Use a vpn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ckorik View Post
    Without a vpn your ip address is visible to anyone. Use a vpn.
    Your IP address will still be visible to anyone. A VPN just makes it harder to track what information you're looking at / retrieving from the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Your IP address will still be visible to anyone. A VPN just makes it harder to track what information you're looking at / retrieving from the net.
    Thanks! I figured as much, but didn’t know if there was an option I was missing in the software to do this.

Blog Entries
    You do know that your IP address is available to every forum you post on, to every social media site etc? It one way forum moderators (not here) are able to block annoying spammers.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You do know that your IP address is available to every forum you post on, to every social media site etc? It one way forum moderators (not here) are able to block annoying spammers.
    Hey there! While I appreciate the bit of info, I didn't think someone was going to be condescending about me asking a simple question.

Yes, I’m aware that public ip addresses are visible online on many sites, but it’s not as plain to see on many of the popular ones. I didn’t think there was any harm in asking if there was an option to make it not as obvious to other people when connecting to your session.

Blog Entries
    Didn't mean to sound condescending, sorry about that.

Certainly no harm on asking questions around here. Just wanted to make sure that you knew your IP address isn't something generally kept private.

If you do want to keep your IP from your players and using the alias feature isn't enough, then as mentioned a VPN solution is the best way. If your not familiar with the alias feature let us know.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Didn't mean to sound condescending, sorry about that.

Certainly no harm on asking questions around here. Just wanted to make sure that you knew your IP address isn't something generally kept private.

If you do want to keep your IP from your players and using the alias feature isn't enough, then as mentioned a VPN solution is the best way. If your not familiar with the alias feature let us know.
    I tried the alias feature, but it still makes your external IP visible to those connecting to you. I went ahead and got NordVPN because I was overdue in setting up a VPN service for my home (previous sub on a diff provider had expired), so that's fixed the issue.

Blog Entries
    Glad you got a solution that works for you. Happy gaming!

Thread Information