5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Blog Entries

PDF Conversion to an FG Module: Information Index

Update October 2022

At this point, this thread is most likely, seriously out of date.

There may still be relevant information in the thread, but personally, as the original author, I recommend you consider stop reading it right now.

The index is in posts 2 & 3 of this thread (below).

Begin pre-"ramble":
    I'll start with: I am attempting my first conversion of a PDF that I bought on DriveThruRPG/DMs Guild to a Fantasy Grounds Module. The eventual intent is to present it to Smiteworks for resale through their store.

I'm finding this is an incredibly laborious task and fraught with pitfalls. There is a lot of information in the forum threads, but trying to find it, digest it and separate out the nuggets of insight, in threads that have been hijacked, digressed and polluted is often a challenge in itself.

I'm going to grab the banner and try to provide an index to those nuggets of information, and hopefully glean some information of my own here in this thread. A one stop shopping site so-to-speak. I have to work through this whole process, so I might as well document it.

When I first started working on the conversion I thought, here's a way to pick up a little bit of $$$. And now for the first nugget: The operative word here is little. I'm lucky if I can convert 10 pages a day. For a 300 page adventure, optimally that's a month's worth of worth. After percentage cuts and stuff, I'll be surprised if I make 10 cents and hour. So this is a labor of love, not a career opportunity.

Now for the crowd sourcing pitch.. If you have a thread or document you go back to time and again and would like to share it, please do, we'll all appreciate it.

Thanks for everyone's support.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; October 3rd, 2022 at 15:55. Reason: added content
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    After about two weeks of searching and reading the forum threads, this is what I have come up with (as of June 15, 2018):

Legal:
    Wizards of the Coast / DMs Guild Content Guidelines
    Wizards of the Coast / SRD & OGL Explained
    Paizo / Pathfinder Sharing Agreement Announcement, post #68
    Paizo / Pathfinder / OGL Private sharing of PFS scenario data

Guidelines
    User Guides, FG Wiki
    Adventure Module Creation, LordEntrails
    Steps to Create a PFS Scenario, Trenloe - more generic than it sounds
    How to import Adventures from pdf format?, damed, post #2

Useful tools
    PDF Basic Rules Parser, valeros
    PFS Stat Block Parser, Trenloe
    Table Importer, celestian
    CSV Table Importer, lokiare1
    NPC Engineer and Spell Engineer, Maasq
    4E Parser, valeros
    5E Parser, kp9911 (not up to date)

Specific Issues
    Black Background Issue: Capturing images from PDF docs
    Black Background Issue: Copying images from Pdf, post #24
    Graphics Resolution: Extracting graphics from a PDF
    Image Size (maximum): Extracting graphics from a PDF, post #5
    Image Resolution, Scaling, PPI, DPI, and File Formats: Extracting graphics from a PDF, post #6
    Import Resolution (into Gimp): Extracting graphics from a PDF, post #4
    Ligature: Extracting graphics from a PDF, post #11
    Map Grid Alignment: Grid sizing, post#5 & 9
    Tables: Transferring tables in a .pdf in to Fantasy Grounds
    Text as an Image: AL module conversion from PDF to FG
    Tokens: Change in module exporting with FG3?, post #1

Graphics:
    Summarized in the following post.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; July 9th, 2018 at 16:27.

Blog Entries
    This subject, graphics, by far, took the most time to research and was discussed more often in the forum threads than any other subject.

The following table of PDF applications is simply a list of applications I found mentioned among the FG forum threads. This is not intended to be a review of the applications. I don't have the time nor desire to load and test every program listed. If you use any of them, or one that is not listed and you'd like me to include that information please let me know. My forum name is listed in the row(s) of applications I have tried, though I don't necessarily endorse any of them.

PDF Document Applications

Application Source Cost Image Extraction Ignores Protection Multiple Images Recommended FG Thread
    Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Free Copy to clipboard No No Minty23185Fresh here, now
    Adobe Acrobat Adobe $$$ madman Post #5
    A-PDF Image Extractor A-PDF Free & $ darrenan Post #16
    ExtractPDF.com ExtractPDF.com Free File upload to web site Yes Yes Talyn Post #13
    Foxit Foxit Free & $$$ LordEntrails Post #6
    Microsoft Word Microsoft $$$ Yes Llisandur Post #78
    Nitro Nitro Free & $$$ Yes Trenloe Post #1
    Nuance Power PDF Standard Nuance $$$ Trenloe Post #15
    pdfimages.exe Forum Posted Free Extracts to local PC Yes Yes ColinBuckler & Minty23185Fresh Post #1
    PDF XChange Tracker Software Free & $$ Nylanfs Post #5
    Soda PDF Anywhere Soda $$ bestellen Post #6
    somepdf.com redirects to sedja.com Sedja Free File upload to web site leonal Post #4
    Application Source Cost Image Extraction Ignores Protection Multiple Images Recommended FG Thread
    Column Key:
    Cost: Free & $: usually means free trial, $: <$20, $$ < $100, $$$ > $100
    Recommended: usually recommended by many forum users, the person sited is usually the first person I found (sorry if you're not listed)

Oftentimes one might need to touch up an image, or separate the image from a page within the PDF because text and images are not separate entities. This occurs when books are manually scanned and saved as PDF documents. The following table of graphics editors applications is simply a list of applications I found mentioned among the FG forum threads. This is not intended to be a review of the applications.

Graphics Editors for use with PDF Document Images

Application Loads PDFs Ignores Protection Multiple Images
    Adobe Photoshop (& Elements) Yes No Yes
    Corel Painter (& Elements) No n/a n/a
    Gimp Yes Yes Yes
    Inkscape Yes Yes Yes
    Krita Yes Yes Yes
    Microsoft Paint No n/a n/a
    Paint.net No n/a n/a
    Column Keys:
    Loads PDFs: when the program can't load the PDF file itself,
    Ignores Protection and loading Multiple Images are both usually not applicable

A few links to threads of interest.
    PDF Software Suggestions?
    Map making software comparisons

(I did most of my work for the above table in this thread.)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; June 29th, 2018 at 16:48.

Blog Entries
    Image sizes:
    (by Trenloe) post 68

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks Trenloe. I didn't know this thread existed. Hence this thread.

Blog Entries

Image Extraction

(in-)Digestion at work:
    How To Extract Images From A PDF (ColinBuckler)

Extracting graphics from a PDF (Varsuuk)

PDF Converter (to Word, Bidmaron)

ExtractPDF.com (post 13, Talyn)

Photoshop Elements, multiple image export (external site: Realm Works, post 1, Jay_NOLA)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; June 8th, 2018 at 23:33.

Blog Entries
    Add to that old post (I don't use that site anymore since I discovered this) Acrobat Reader (possibly only the Pro version, unconfirmed) has an image export tool built in. Just choose JPG or PNG and it will go through the PDF page by page and extract every single image in its original size. And that post already mentioned that it will do a text (both Plain and Accessible flavors) export as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    Add to that old post (I don't use that site anymore since I discovered this) Acrobat Reader (possibly only the Pro version, unconfirmed) has an image export tool built in. Just choose JPG or PNG and it will go through the PDF page by page and extract every single image in its original size. And that post already mentioned that it will do a text (both Plain and Accessible flavors) export as well.
    Thanks Talyn. I’ll give it a go. Though I don’t have Pro, so that will be a good test. Maybe their DC (Document Cloud) does the same.

I read on another thread in Realms Help about using Photoshop Elements to extract images. I tried it on an Adventurers League PDF that I bought through DriveThru. It failed because of DriveThru’s password protection (for the watermark I bet).

I just tried the export site you mentioned on the same PDF from DriveThru. No problem. It just ignored the password protection.

But the 14Mb limit is a problem. The real adventure I’m working on is 29Mb. Waaaah!

Blog Entries
    I’m sure everyone has a favorite. Hopefully others will chime in and I can distill it all down.

Thread Information