5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    This is indeed a good idea. Just be careful though because this won't work if the spell requires a saving throw. You'll need to set it up as a power as Thegroo says in the post above.
    Indeed, good point, in that case you could actually use both. Use the power for the wand that needs the saving throw, then check it off in the little circle on it's weapon twin, this way the player could still keep track on their own which was the point of the person I was replying to, to keep track.

Or even simpliar yet, our great FG developers could simply put the same "add action" radial menu, by right clicking, that the powers have to weapons, then you could also add casts on a weapon for cases like this and get the saving throw, or heals for heal wands, ect
    Thanks JH79
    AKA: Valorious Goodspeak: Gold Hill Dwarf Cleric
    Thaldor Hammersmith: Mountain Shield Dwarf

Parsed full versions-5th Edition books in-game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide

DMing 5e content, currently:
    Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen
    Playing in Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Ultimate Licence Holder: You play for free
    1000+ Wizards Of The Coast Miniatures used in-game
    Team Speak Address: ts.fg-con.com
    Password: Dungeoneers

You can create a wand in the "Powers" section. For example, here is a basic healing wand in "Preparation" mode:

Note the "50 Once" setting - this is 50 charges that are used once (i.e. they don't come back after a rest). The "Heal" action has been added through right-click -> Add Action -> Add Heal.

Then in Mode = Combat (and Display = Actions):

You get 50 "charges" you can tick off as they're used. They don't tick off automatically, just do it manually.

You can add cast/effect/damage etc. actions to an entry like this.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post

You get 50 "charges" you can tick off as they're used. They don't tick off automatically, just do it manually.

You can add cast/effect/damage etc. actions to an entry like this.
    Thought this over, If you need a heal wand or a spell with a saving throw, you can just tick it off manually on the power, true. If you don't need a saving throw, you can set it up as a weapon and it will check it off automatically after the roll if you want to set it up as an attack. That covers all bases. Awesome.

Personally I would prefer the auto check mark on the little circle instead of manually checking it off, us players can forget to check it off. So maybe right clicking a weapon could bring up the add action menu widget, like the powers functionality, and casts and saves could be added directly to weapons also devs? I don't see how adding (add action) functionality to weapons could hurt, only benefit.
    Last edited by jh79; May 12th, 2015 at 04:24.
    Thanks JH79
    AKA: Valorious Goodspeak: Gold Hill Dwarf Cleric
    Thaldor Hammersmith: Mountain Shield Dwarf

Parsed full versions-5th Edition books in-game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide

DMing 5e content, currently:
    Lost Mine of Phandelver
    The Chosen
    Playing in Star Wars Edge of the Empire

Ultimate Licence Holder: You play for free
    1000+ Wizards Of The Coast Miniatures used in-game
    Team Speak Address: ts.fg-con.com
    Password: Dungeoneers

Quote Originally Posted by jh79 View Post
    Thought this over, If you need a heal wand or a spell with a saving throw, you can just tick it off manually on the power, true. If you don't need a saving throw, you can set it up as a weapon and it will check it off automatically after the roll if you want to set it up as an attack. That covers all bases. Awesome.

Personally I would prefer the auto check mark on the little circle instead of manually checking it off, us players can forget to check it off. So maybe right clicking a weapon could bring up the add action menu widget, like the powers functionality, and casts and saves could be added directly to weapons also devs? I don't see how adding (add action) functionality to weapons could hurt, only benefit.
    Seems like a great idea to me, the functionality is already there, why not just port it to weapons also. Could make some cool auto checked magic items.

The next step beyond that would be to configure a power to tick off more than one charge (Staff of Fire has 3 powers, each using a different number of charges). Then we need to figure out how to use the "overcharge" powers (add a charge to increase the "level" of the spell being cast).

Might as well go for broke...
    Wedge
    -----
    Ultimate license holder
    Running a D&D 5e homegrown campaign and a Forgotten Realms campaign.

@Zacchaeus: Well you could still check off the ammo/charges, you just can't add the saving throw effect. I prefer adding it as a power as well though.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    @Zacchaeus: Well you could still check off the ammo/charges, you just can't add the saving throw effect. I prefer adding it as a power as well though.
    I think that was the point of the idea, to be able to add a power straight to a weapon also, shouldn't be to hard to just toss the same radial widget over to it. That way if you make a wand or magic arrows, etc, you can make it ranged with the arrow icon and it will auto check it when cast, and you can add a saving throw, I like it. I like it a lot! Just up to the dev if he wants to take the time to toss the same widget menu on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Davis View Post
    Just up to the dev if he wants to take the time to toss the same widget menu on it.
    FYI - it's not just a case of tossing the same widget on it. There is additional code underlying to make all of this happen and the automation operate correctly.

Has anyone added this request to the FG wishlist yet? Then the devs can review and decide if they're going to add this functionality - maybe on weapons, or maybe make powers more weapon-like in terms of auto-checking off uses. The latter would be my preference so that things like wands and multi-use non-weapon magic items aren't listed in the weapons section.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information