DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: HTML Symbols

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I know what you are asking, but I don't understand Trenloe's response. I use a few of these myself without the need for FG fonts; or rather, they work with the default fonts where I use them. The latter is most likely the case. I use & and » quite often for feats.
    That works because the font contains a symbol with ASCII code 187. That is what I meant when I said "If you want symbols you will have to use a FG font that supports the symbols you want."

Anytime a font is used in an FG control (formatted text field, string control, etc.) you are limited in what you can display to what the font contains.

Donwload Neil Foster's font editor and have a look at what the FG fonts contain: https://googledrive.com/host/0B27SCD...nt-editor.html

Here is the regular-11.fgf font shown in the font editor. I have highlighted character number 187:

This is where the FG symbol for character 187 comes from - not from any HTML symbol code standard. Luckily, most of the fonts in FG adhere to the symbol standard - but you can't take this for granted, especially with custom fonts.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

And, with FG fonts, you're limited to 8-bit character codes (0-255).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That editor will be nifty. I was looking for something like that the other day.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    That works because the font contains a symbol with ASCII code 187. That is what I meant when I said "If you want symbols you will have to use a FG font that supports the symbols you want."

Anytime a font is used in an FG control (formatted text field, string control, etc.) you are limited in what you can display to what the font contains.

Donwload Neil Foster's font editor and have a look at what the FG fonts contain: https://googledrive.com/host/0B27SCD...nt-editor.html

Here is the regular-11.fgf font shown in the font editor. I have highlighted character number 187:

This is where the FG symbol for character 187 comes from - not from any HTML symbol code standard. Luckily, most of the fonts in FG adhere to the symbol standard - but you can't take this for granted, especially with custom fonts.
    is there anything this guy doesnt know?

Still looking....

It looks like the formattedtext control supports ALT+XXX number codes based off the Extended ASCII Codes (see the Extended ASCII Codes table here: https://www.asciitable.com/) and so you can press-and-hold the ALT key and type in the code on your keyboard numeric keypad. When you release the ALT key the character relating to the code entered should be displayed. For example, for a lower case e-acute = é press and hold ALT, type 130 on the numeric keypad (it has to be the keypad, not the numbers along the top of the keyboard), and then release the ALT key and the symbol should appear. This only covers the more font type characters rather then symbols...

Wow, Trenloe. Nice - don't remember hearing that one before.

Thread Information