DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Wanting to make my own rule sets, where should I start?

As the title says. I have programming experience, just not with Lua. I've used perl, C, C++ and java and have some experience with XML. Can anyone recommend a book, website or tutorial that will get me up to speed with Lua? In particular focus to FG2 creations?

Click the "Library" link at the top of this page, then "Ruleset Modification Guide". Step through the different pages from the index on the left. The "Scripting" page includes some links to online LUA resources.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I would start with the Foundation Core that Joshuha and phantomwhale have put together. This is a solid, and up to date, base on which to build. Grab a copy of the "Anatomy of a ruleset" written by Foen from the FGWiki.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a total newbie. Let me restate what I meant. I have read the resources here, but was looking for personal opinions on a good book on Lua in general and maybe one specifically on xml integration that might be helpful for FG2 programming. If the answer is still 'look at these things HERE' no worries, and thanks for the replies already received

Here is the book I used for learning Lua. It's available for free online, and also available in print via Amazon.

https://www.lua.org/pil/

Cheers,
    JPG

The best method, IMO, is to look at a ruleset and see what it's doing. The Lua book moonwizard is recommending helps with the syntax and structure. The library says what can be done in FG, the anatomy tells you how stuff hangs together. So, yes, do all of it
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

Thanks very much guys. Now to lock myself away for a month and come back as an FG2 coder

Thread Information