FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

audio capability and custom scripting

I had two questions:

1. Does FG support any sort of audio playback for the players that can be cued by the GM? I can only speak as a player, but I've found that the right music for a particular situation can really add to my immersion.

2. Is there any capability to customize and add to the functionality of the app through a scripting language of some sort? I seem to recall reading something about Lua being used for this, but I can't find it in the forums.

Thanks.

1) FG does not suport any audio playback that can be cued by the GM. However some GM's use their VOIP programs to do this, in particular Ventrillo seems good for this.

2) Yes. Here's a link to the library on this site: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/scripting.xcp
    FYI LUA manipulation of outside files has been cut off for security reasons. If you have specific questions feel free to ask.

thanks for your response.

that sounds like a fine solution to help convey a mood with some music.

I'm a little confused about the scripting though. You mentioned that LUA manipulation of outside files has been cut off? I guess I don't understand the distinction between "inside" and "outside" files.

This is really interesting to me because I sort of have to learn LUA for my job anyway and I could kill two birds with one stone. Not to mention, it could make learning it more enjoyable.

"Outside" might not have been the best description. I tired and heading to bed. Outside in this case means any non FG files. The LUA scripting language does have the capicity to kick off other exes or programs. That is the functionality has been turned off in the version of LUA used by FG. If this had been left on you could kick off WinAmp or something with a LUA script in FG. Aside from audio synch issues, allowing this type of thing would expose the clients to security risks from malware.
    Last edited by Griogre; March 31st, 2010 at 08:48.

ok, thanks again for the information.

I think I understand more clearly now. Perhaps I should ask the question in a different way. As a GM, what options do I have to customize the app through LUA to enhance the toolset or the experience?

Or if "options" is too broad, does anyone care to share any examples of how LUA has improved their game through FG?

For ambient music, I plan on using ShoutCast to broadcast it. As for chat, we use Skype.

So far those have worked fairly well

shoutcast eh? haven't heard of that one.

I will check it out, thanks man!

In FGII there are two ways to modify the game via LUA:

1) The ruleset: The ruleset is the core game mechanics, typically it contains the definitions for every object you need to run the game, from what a character sheet contains/looks like to what happens when you roll the dice.

2) Extensions: Extensions offer the ability to replace/add elements to an existing ruleset. These might be simple changes such as altering some fonts/graphics (a skin) to more complex changes like adding fumble rules, a calendar, etc.

If you check out the wiki you'll find information on a number of Extensions/Rulesets.

If u dont know nothing about scropting, like me! u can use FG2 + Ventrilo + virtual audio cable...

virtual audio cable? tell me more

Thread Information