Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Help With 4e rules

Alright, I played 3.5 when I was younger but I haven't touched anything D&D in a long time. I saw the 4.0 books and picked them up, and now I will be using FG2 to introduce D&D to some of my non P&P friends.

When I played 3.5, someone taught me how it went, and my brain worked a lot better back then, but with 4e... I am running into a few questions/ simple clarifications to make sure I am understanding the basics of the powers:

1. When it says attack roll, do we role a d20 and just add the modifier for the stat:
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Attack: Charisma vs. Will
    Attack: Constitution vs. Fortitude

For example, Strength vs. AC: Roll a d20 and add strength modifier vs the target's Ac to see if it hits right?

2. When we hit with a power, and it says something like:
    Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage

That means, Roll your weapons dice, multiply it by 3 and then add strength mod for damage total?

I just want to make sure I am interpreting these correctly.

Also, how do you handle the powers in the 4e rulesets for the character sheets? I tried placing a few but no matter how I tried to click/drag the power I could not get it to make the rolls.

I was trying to watch the 4E_JPG ruleset tutorial from this thread but it seems to be down, anyone have a mirror?
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu

I believe the answer to both of your questions is 'Yes' (I havent played 4E in a couple of months, but I think that's the right track).

The ruleset is down right now because FUG is revamping and upgrading their website. It should be avaiable again soon.
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

For damage "3[W] + Strength modifier damage" means roll weapon die/dice three times, not multiply. I don't think they've used multiplying since 2nd edition (except the empower spell feat in 3e).

For the powers you must drag/double click the dice you have already added to the power in the attack/damage field.

Alright, Thanks guys. I didn't expect a response so fast!

mr_h, I have the ruleset already. What I was trying to watch is the tutorial video, https://www.eugee.net/downloads/video/xorne-[4ejpg]-1a.wmv

but that whole website seems to be down.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonal
    For damage "3[W] + Strength modifier damage" means roll weapon die/dice three times, not multiply. .
    oops, I missed the multiple comment. Sorry, Leonal's right...I really need to wake up this morning.
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

Ok If that is the case. Do you add the strength mod to each weapon roll or just to the total of all three?

Just the total.

Thanks for the clarifications guys. Can't wait to get our game going~!

To answer your first question (I don't see it being addressed) Strength vs. AC means d20 + Strength mod + half level. Indeed, you add half level to any "check" in 4e. If the power has the weapon keyword, you also add the weapon's proficiency modifier and enhancement bonus, if any. If it's the implement keyword, you add your implement's enhancement bonus, if any.

Thanks EugeneZ, I guess I need to reread a lot.

Thread Information