FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Xorne's Tutorial Revisions

Greetings, fellow users of Fantasy Grounds II!

My schedule has freed up a little, and I've decided it's time to revise my video tutorials. I'll be working on them primarily on the weekend, and posting the updated tutorials as they are completed. I will be doing my best to cover as much material as possible--while keeping the video as brief as I can. Since someone can just replay something, I'll be talking fast.

I will be doing the same list of videos as before, here is the list:
    • Quick Start Guide
      Quick overview of the basic features of FG2, from both DM and Player perspectives.
    • Campaign Entry Basics
      Demonstration of the basic building blocks for building a campaign (DM focused).
    • Adventure Module
      In-Depth how-to guide for creating and exporting a campaign into an adventure module.
    • Miniature to Token
      Quickly and easily turn any image (DDM minis used in tutorial) into a side-view style token.
    • Map Rescaling
      Simple method for rescaling an existing map to fit your preferred grid size.
    • 4E_JPG Ruleset
      Demonstration of the extra features of the 4E_JPG ruleset.

Note that not all of these videos necessarily need revision, but I don't want to be the sole judge of that; I'd like some community feedback. Here are my current planned changes (if you can provide suggestions/feedback in this format, it's easier for me to process, too):

Quick Start Guide: Need to add Masking and maybe extensions, which are pretty advanced for my target goals.

Campaign Entry Basics: I'm not sure if I missed anything here, really. I would like to clean up the explanation on the token directory structure, at least.

Adventure Modules: Need to completely remove the pre-export trick since it was fixed.

Miniature to Token: I think it's fine, but I might revise it to mention factors for your scale choice and new behavior for transparency.

Map Rescaling: Not sure if there's anything that needs changed on this one, it's pretty independent of FG2 changes.

4E_JPG: This will be a nightmare, and I'm going to do a total revision. So much has changed since this video was done--need to get it up to date, and cover ALL the stuff that's not in the video at present. I'm going to post a thread on FUM for the 4E_JPG video, as well.

I have *no* intentions of making any sort of tutorial on using Tenian's parsers.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

I'm glad to see you've decided to do this.

The 4E_JPG version 2 ruleset had to be driving users insane if they were comparing your old tutorial to where we are today.

I'll end this by saying "great job" on your video tutorials.

Rook

I know I'll get slapped for saying this.. but is there a way to save these as quicktime videos as well?
    I'd like to watch the video while havinf FG up and running.
    Then we can reduce the files for ipods and iphones so people can learn this stuff while on the bus or train.
    Then the Mac users will have a huge head start when the Mac version is released.

Regardless, these tutorials are a great contribution.

Thanks.
    -D

I read:

blah blah blah
    making any sort of tutorial on using Tenian's parsers.

Quote Originally Posted by devinnight
    I know I'll get slapped for saying this.. but is there a way to save these as quicktime videos as well?
    I'd like to watch the video while havinf FG up and running.
    Then we can reduce the files for ipods and iphones so people can learn this stuff while on the bus or train.
    Then the Mac users will have a huge head start when the Mac version is released.

Regardless, these tutorials are a great contribution.

Thanks.
    -D
    I'll take a look at it, and see what I can manage. I'm going to be posting up several 60 second clips in different rendering criteria to get opinions. The last videos were 1024x768 squished down to 640x480; I'm curious how much bigger the file would be if I just left it at 1024x768 (the size of the window by default). My goal is to stay around 1 MB per minute--but I'll see if I can post up a MOV version--because I think that's a very good idea.

EDIT:
    We'll talk tonight, Tenian--but it's just a maybe.
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM

I'm glad you decided to update your excellent tutorials, Xorn!

If there was one thing I would ask for, it would be a video tutorial running through a small or short example/mock campaign using all of the functionality for the player and DM. The fluff doesn't have to be anything more than minimal, it's the mechanics of running a successful campaign that I am most interested in. I not only want to be a master at those DM mechanics, but also a master at advising players on how to most enjoy their experience (what options are available to them. what can they do to have the most fun possible etc.). Also, I would appreciate instruction on the slash commands and adventure chat options as well.

It just seems like the best way to create a video tutorial would be to just run through a short/mock campaign because the adventure itself makes covering almost everything easier, because the mechanics will be used as a natural course of events while playing and can be explained along the way. Maybe not, it's still a huge project and a lot of hard work either way.

Breaking the videos up into parts, like you did before, is a geat way to produce the project in my opinion. If a person is looking for particular instruction or advice, they do not have to scan through a very long video to find the information they are looking for (Example: I know Xorn explained this concept before, but I don't know exactly where in the video he spoke of the subject.). Maybe you could provide a time index enumerating the subjects covered (Example: Time Index 5:34 Slash commands, ie at 5 minutes 34 seconds into the video you covered slash commands)?

I suppose the best way would be to just play through a mock campaign, then edit in your explanations after the fact. Sort of splice in the instruction and advice later, after you are done recording the gameplay. But maybe in reality it would be much harder to do it that way, I don't know.

Either way, I am greatly anticipating whatever you come up with. I enjoyed your other videos immensely (You've got talent!).

Cheers!
    Last edited by Ham08; January 28th, 2009 at 05:02.

Tenian gave me some feedback as well on things that I need to make sure are updated:

Things I think have changed:

Basic FGII operation:
    1) Token exporting
    2) Multiple pins to the same link works (I think).
    3) Transparency

4E_JPG stuff that we have final versions of:
    1) Skill challenge tracker
    2) Prebuilt Encounters + exporting (were these in the last video?)
    3) Healing Surge button / Modifier stack
    4) Second Wind moved
    5) Minisheet/power sheet combat mode
    6) Critical changes (High Crit, Critical dice)
    7) Brutal and Vorpal key words (Yeah vorpal is coded in there..can Hafgrim have a vorpal executioner's axe....for testing!)
    Cool Automatically processed effects (DMG/REGEN) Might have been in the video
    9) GM Automatic identity switching based on CT
    10) MAX DIE USED message
    11) Did the old video have multiple attacks per power?
    12) "Double drop" code - Adding weapon to inventory adds to Combat tab. Feats with powers.

4E_JPG stuff that has been accepted but I don't have the final versions of:
    1) Automatic saving throws
    2) Damage rolls /Attack rolls drops on CT/Tokens and the three options
    3) Healing surges remaining on CT (changed the spacing possible)
    4) Immediate Action / AP Used check boxes. (changed the spacing possible)
    Ultimate License DM

Quick Start Guide:
    - Masking needs to be covered, including tips for straight-edge reveals, and canceling a reveal before you finish it.

I'm breaking down what would be involved with a mock campaign; if I can break it down to a small enough video, I'll try to do something. Kind of a "putting it all together" video. I don't think it needs to be a window of play or anything, but a breakdown of how I run a game, with the disclaimer that there are other right ways.

So maybe a GM perspective of what is kept in the campaign, what is in modules, and how I arrange my screen, I guess? Quick glimpse at my task flow during play?
    Ultimate License DM

Hang fire perhaps?

Tenian will probably be able to tell you more but it might be worth waiting a while for the 4e_JPG ruleset to be updated. I believe moon_wizard is working on something with the new onDrop handler for the tokens and you will certainly want to include that in any new video tutorial.

Just a thought.
    DNH
    "Lost in Karameikos"

Xorne's Tuesday game is a testbed for whatever craziness I come up with and manage to get into some sort of working format.

There was another section of his list that included features which had been submitted to moon_wizard but haven't been accepted/tested/approved. Token drops were among these.

However, the feature can't be completed until Smiteworks patches beyond 2.3.6 as the onDrop handler doesn't fire for clients. It does work for the host (DM).

Thread Information