Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

my campaign is lost

Hi,
    I have encountered a big problem in FG.
    A week ago we had a RP session and everything was OK, but when I tried to open the same campaign at home (the day after), campaign was lost - all maps, NPC-s, places, stories, everything was gone.

I have done backup of this campaign by copying whole "campaigns" folder from C:\Documents and Settings\Matija Herceg\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\

How can I bring my campaign back? And how can I be sure that this will not happen again?

--
    Matija
    Last edited by mherceg; December 8th, 2008 at 10:50.

To recover your campaign, access your backup folder, there should be a "campaigns" folder in there. Inside are the various campaigns you started, so just copy whichever one broke, over the broken version in your real FG data directory. Make sense?

As to what causes it, I see these threads pop up from time to time but I don't think there are any "sure-fire" ways to cause this. I've caused this once by exiting the program via the "X" in the top right instead of the right clicking and using that option. Also, I haven't tried this, but I suspect you can probably do a lot of damage if you try editing the db.xml file while FG2 is open. Lastly, some people mentioned that certain combination of characters involving left-ankle-brackets (<) and ampersands (&), both of which are special XML characters, can cause problems, though personally, I use these all the time and never had any issues.

Same problem but having difficulty fixing it.

Can anybody tell me where the back-up folder is? I've checked the application data folder and can't find one marked "back-up."

FG doesn't make a back up folder in the previous post the OP had made one. If you crashed in the middle of a game and lost your campaign then you can look in the campaign folder in data apps in the folder with the name of your campaign and see if there is a db.xml backup file.

If there is one and you have a db.xml file rename that file to db2.xml and change the back up file to db.xml. Load FG and your campaign to see what is there.

Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!

Make sure you do make a back up regularly if you are having a problem where you are losing data.

Some people have experienced data loss when they close FGII by using the Red X in the upper right corner instead of right clicking on the empty desktop and using the close radial.

If you are constantly experiencing campaign loss you might try switching the method you use to close FGII and see if your problem goes away.

I had an old demo version and i was able to create characters and to edit them. But since i updated my demo version, my "campaigns" don't appear on the list like before. Only a couple of them (2) appear because they were in the "cache" file (don't ask me why).

Someone can help me to understand and to fix it?

By the way, i use Wine on Linux Mint

Blog Entries
    Hey Kruschevv, welcome to the community

This sounds like you have two installs of FG. Not sure how Wine impacts this, but in Windows this is what to check;

On the launch screen, click on the folder icon in the upper right. This will open a browser to your FG Data folder. Check the campaigns sub-folder. 99% sure your campaigns will not be in there. What you will then have to do is find where your old campaign folder was and copy/move all the old campaigns from that location into this one. You can do the same with the other subfolders too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information