STAR TREK 2d20

D&D 4E GSL/SRD workarounds

One thing I noticed right away in the GSL is that it doesn't allow you to put monster stats into your printed materials. One way to get around this is to create a template like the following:

Common
    XP normal
    Commoner commonality
    The common can interact better with commoners and gains a +1 power bonus to any skill while dealing with a commoner.
    Then because you are allowed to display templated monsters you can put the full monster statistics in the module.
    Support:
    https://support.fantasygrounds.com/
    Have a suggestion for a feature? Go here https://fgapp.idea.informer.com

They can, and probably should, pull your license for doing this. if you want to post monster stats, make new monsters for the adventure.

While it's inconvenient to have to reference the MM while playing, if you prepare ahead and use post-its to tag the pages you need, it's not a HUGE deal to a DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Illrigger
    They can, and probably should, pull your license for doing this.
    I cant for the life of me figure out why so many people think the community here is so rude and harsh.

hehe, peace guys!

A better work-around is never to sign the GSL to start with, then just be careful with WotC IP.

Jeremy was blunt, but lokiare1 this would not work. WotC has to approve each license and can pull any license at anytime even if they didn't catch this during approval. Thus finding loopholes in the GSL simply will not work other than maybe in the short term.

If you don't want to play by the spirit of the GSL, I would suggest you concentrate you time on non GSL, copywrite complainant items. The way the GSL is laid out you are just not going to get away with gaming it medium or long term - so why waste the time?

unerwünscht, this is not a perfect community but that seems a gross generalization to me. There are a lot of people touchy on intellectual property values (and I *am* a developer who’s been burned by theft so I am too) but other than that subject where most people are still courteous, I would say people are generally friendly and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    unerwünscht, this is not a perfect community but that seems a gross generalization to me. There are a lot of people touchy on intellectual property values (and I *am* a developer who’s been burned by theft so I am too) but other than that subject where most people are still courteous, I would say people are generally friendly and helpful.
    If you would like to talk about this in another thread so we arn't hijacking this one any further let me know. Otherwise I will leave it at the comment still stands, and there are literally thousands of examples on these forums of people being rude to one another. Tho I do not recall any from you directly.

Even troublemakers are welcome here, Unerwünscht. Leaping on an unmeaningly abrupt word is adding fuel to the fire that you claim you don't think should be started.

Re- the GSL - I would certainly agree that we should not be looking to "get around" an immature GSL. That seems a little exploitative to me. Test it, by all means, but relying on a income stream based around a loophole seems a bit risky.

Thread Information