5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Made minis today (showing off)

I redid all my minis/tokens for two of the sets, I think they turned out pretty good.

Xorne's D&D minis
    Last edited by Xorn; June 30th, 2010 at 21:06.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

They look good Xorn. I was playing around with few myself the other day. But I was using too small a scale. What scale in pixels are you using for the medium size (ie what is the size of the grid the minis are on)?

Maybe its me but I think it looks better if you have the base on pretty close to the line. IE I don't like the look of the Hook Horror and Vrock "floating in mid-air." I think it looks strange compared to the rest.

Edit: by the way I got some pretty nice goblins out of The Forgotten Tomb of Felgar the Goblin King. It's a free download 4E compatible adventure at rpgnow. I'm not sure on the balance but it seems like a pretty good preview type adventure. https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info....ducts_id=56490
    Last edited by Griogre; June 21st, 2008 at 23:48.

I did my original set with 50 pixels for a medium, but I bumped them up to 100 pixels for a medium now (still a 50 pixel/square grid though). Small creatures are 75 pixels, and large are 200.

The issue with the hook horror is that if you have a grid (thus snapping) it snaps to the center of the image, which means the base can be way off. I make the minis all fit in a square of the right size (75, 100, or 200 pixels). So long creatures like the bullet are like 200x138, while the runecarved eidolon is like 112x200. Where they are standing is covered with the "size" shading, anyway, so it works out well in practice.

But if I had a hook horror that was centered, I'd be all over it.
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM

Ah, got it, you can get the base at the bottom if you make the Hook Horror at the bottom of a 200x200 square. Just fill the rest with transparency but I don't know if it's worth the effort if the colored square seems to make it right.

Very nice!
    The Box ruleset modification:
    Lets your players make die rolls that only the DM can see!

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre
    Ah, got it, you can get the base at the bottom if you make the Hook Horror at the bottom of a 200x200 square. Just fill the rest with transparency but I don't know if it's worth the effort if the colored square seems to make it right.
    Not quite sure I follow. It's currently a transparent PNG. If I resize the Hook Horror to be 200x200 (squishing him a little horizontally) he'll fill the square, but it looks kind of weird so I didn't opt for that. Wait I get it, you mean expand the image to 200 pixels height (with him at the bottom of it). It would actually be pretty simple to do that, but I'll probably skip it--each one of these minis takes me about 30 seconds or less to do.

I tried to come up with a set method really. For "long" creatures I do their width, then as long as the height stays inside the square I leave it alone, otherwise I squish it. For upright creatures I set the height and squish width if needed. The hook horror looks funny because he's upright, but like 50% wider than he is tall.

I agree though, I like the bipedal creatures to touch the top and bottom of the square. I might adjust him.
    Last edited by Xorn; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:42.
    Ultimate License DM

I was doing the same thing, just setting the larger of the width or hight to your scale for that size and shrinking it proportionally. It works most of the time except on the wide ones. For those you can take the picture after you have resized it and just paste it into the bottom of a 200x200 transparent square. Like this:

Last edited by Griogre; June 22nd, 2008 at 04:55.

any chance you could do a zip of these please? or is the file to big even when zipped? I know how time consuming this is because ive started doing them myself so it would be greatly appreciated

Hey Xorn can you share those wonderful tokens??? great job in there
    Religion is an insult to human dignity.
    With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion...

I'd be happy to make a little tutorial of how to do this--but I'm pretty sure giving these to other people is a gross violation of copyright, isn't, it? I mean I have a pretty stunning (if I do say so myself) module of KotS made, but if I share it, that's a copyright violation.

Griogre:
    Yeah, I figured out that's what you meant. The reason I don't like it is compared to the other Large creatures, the Hook Horror looks like a runt then. In my opinion, it actually looks better if you turn off the aspect ratio and stretch it out a little, because at least then it looks big, even if the proportions are off a little.

My method has become this (I'm going to make a tutorial in a minute):
    1. Copy image from website.
    2. Paste as new image.
    3. Promote image to raster layer.
    4. Use the "select color" tool to delete away all the background white.
    5. Select All.
    6. Modify selection to include only non-transparent pixels.
    7. Copy
    8. Paste as new image (trimming away all excess space).
    9. Resize image (bipeds set the height to 100 for medium, "long" creatures set the width to 100 for medium, and if the other dimension exceeds 100 for medium, then turn off aspect ration and skew it down to 100).
    10. Save image (PNG format)

Takes me 30 seconds per mini, if that. I've put in two more sets now, actually (I've now got Harbinger, Dragon Eye, Archfiends, and Dungeon of Dread put in).

EDIT - Tutorial added to Armory
    Last edited by Xorn; June 22nd, 2008 at 14:23.
    Ultimate License DM

Thread Information