5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Potential Buyer Questions

Greetings,

Since I moved from Michigan my D&D group and I have been using Neverwinter Nights for our monday night games. I myself am very skilled with C++ so it was easy for me to DM and create this environment for our gaming sessions. This is a lot of work and doesn't give us the tabletop experience, however.

I have some questions and couldn't find any company contact information on your website so I am posting them here. Thank you for helping me get these answers as my group of six and I are hoping to use Fantasy Grounds for our group.

1. Does fantasy grounds two support the use of multiple game-masters?

2. How often is fantasy grounds updated and how often are new features added?

3. Can more source material be added? I have noticed in the demo the Monster Manual, Spells, and Classes from the PHB OGL D&D sourcebooks. What about suppliments, can these be added by users?

4. Fantasy Grounds 'the demo' has excellent maps. I am assuming however that fantasy grounds does not come with software that can be used to create such excellent maps? Is this true? The maps in the demo were of excellent quality.

5. Are characters saved "server side"? In other words are players only able to access their characters when logged in to my server?

6. Can players edit their stat sheets without GM knowledge?

Thank you for your time in answering these questions!
    -Joe Landolfi

Quote Originally Posted by Alyais
    Greetings,

Since I moved from Michigan my D&D group and I have been using Neverwinter Nights for our monday night games. I myself am very skilled with C++ so it was easy for me to DM and create this environment for our gaming sessions. This is a lot of work and doesn't give us the tabletop experience, however.

I have some questions and couldn't find any company contact information on your website so I am posting them here. Thank you for helping me get these answers as my group of six and I are hoping to use Fantasy Grounds for our group.

1. Does fantasy grounds two support the use of multiple game-masters?
    No it does not. There is only one host and there is not a remote server. That said, depending on exactly what you have the other DM doing the fact he is not a host may not effect what he does much.

2. How often is fantasy grounds updated and how often are new features added?
    FG is largely mature and FG2 was a big update. There are still bugs out there but they tend to be the make a lot of fixes all in one big patch type developers rather than dribble them out.

3. Can more source material be added? I have noticed in the demo the Monster Manual, Spells, and Classes from the PHB OGL D&D sourcebooks. What about suppliments, can these be added by users?
    Yes. All the "library book" modules are in xml and exposed. However, it may or may not be worth your time to input the data because there is little need if you or your players actually have the books. On the other hand it can be very useful to input some commonly used information.

4. Fantasy Grounds 'the demo' has excellent maps. I am assuming however that fantasy grounds does not come with software that can be used to create such excellent maps? Is this true? The maps in the demo were of excellent quality.
    The maps in the demo can't be created by FG. However, FG does come with a battlemap. You can create a blank map with a grid on it like a battle map on the fly and draw on it with a simple pen tool. To add a color map or any other image all you need to do is drop a graphic into a folder and the map will become available to the DM to share. You can also draw on images and mask and unmask them. There are many good map making programs out there, many free.

One of the biggest trade offs in running a FG game is how big and detailed do you want your maps to be? This has a direct effect on file size needed to be transferred to the players. FG does cache maps and other info on the players machines but most non business "up connections" are pretty poor.

5. Are characters saved "server side"? In other words are players only able to access their characters when logged in to my server?
    With the default d20 set characters may make "local" characters. When they connect to the server the local characters are transfered over and become server characters. Once a character is on the server it may only be accessed by the player when on the server. The next time a player logs in he will see both a server and local character. Should he pick the local character again it will make a second copy on the server but not affect the other character. This is a fairly common mistake by new players. You can tell if a player is doing this by looking to see if there are multiple server characters with the same name.

Characters however are not "Vaulted" like NWN. The character sheets are more like pieces of paper and are not really secure in any way. Just like in a real face to face game you really could not stop someone from writing whatever he wanted on a character sheet if they did when you were not looking.
    6. Can players edit their stat sheets without GM knowledge?
    See the answer above, but only while on the server. Frankly if I thought someone was cheating like that I would just kick them out of the group. There are always more players than DMs and there is no reason to put up with a player like that.
    Thank you for your time in answering these questions!
    -Joe Landolfi
    No problem. To get a better perspective on what the player can or can not do - I believe you can still connect to yourself with the new demo. To do so first start the host, then start a second instance of FG and change the user name on the client. Have the client connect to your local IP address and you will be able to play around with both a host and client to see how they work. Just remember in the demo you can't save anything so I wouldn't do a lot of data entry.

Just in case you are wondering, I think you have found the right piece of software for simulating a face to face RPG game over the Internet. FG at its most basic is a die roller, battle map with movable tokens, and chat program that can distribute text and graphics from the host to the clients and update them in real time. It is a game table simulator and does a really good job of getting that face to face feel.

Thanks Griogre for your help. I have a few more questions since I've begun playing around with Fantasy Grounds. I basically have to make sure my players will understand the program we'll be using as some are a bit less computer literate than most and in order to do that I have to understand some things. Anyone can feel free to help with these questions as they're not directed at Griogre. Thank you!

1. When I have a player target a monster a black circle appears, not a colored circle like on the examples in the guide. Why is this?

2. In the guide I am having trouble finding help on combat. I do notice that allied squares are "green" while enemy squares are "red". In the player screen on my demo the enemies are indeed red but I, and my allies, are not green. Why is this?

3. I am assuming that fantasy grounds requires a lot of input on the part of the players (which makes it more tabletop and less video game). I am also assuming damage dealt to a player is told to them and they THEY apply it to their stat sheet? I have dragged damage onto a character profile and noticed they do not take direct damage. When a player updates their own HP however, this does show.

4. In this screenshot on the official fantasy grounds webpage you can see their hotkey (this looks like DM mode) is filled with things such as "flanking" and "aid another". How are such hotkeys done and do they only appear when utilizing those monsters?

5. In the same link as the question above you can see various miniatures on the combat screen and various portraits of players. The portraits however, are different than the miniatures. This seems relatively easy, use a token stored on the players side to represent his character. How does his custom token icon get shared with the rest of us? For that matter how do custom portraits get shared?

6. In the link on my fourth question I noticed very elegantly made maps. The nice fellow who replied before said many programs exist to make your own maps. Can someone list some of these quality programs? Are they extra cost in addition to Fantasy Grounds or are they free? Does fantasy grounds provide any discounts/free software for image making and mapmaking in addition to the standard fantasy grounds package?

Thank you for your time. My demo testing is working great and my group has voted to switch from NWN to Fantasy Grounds once I have ironed out the kinks. They'res about six of us total so we can't wait to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Alyais
    Thanks Griogre for your help. I have a few more questions since I've begun playing around with Fantasy Grounds. I basically have to make sure my players will understand the program we'll be using as some are a bit less computer literate than most and in order to do that I have to understand some things. Anyone can feel free to help with these questions as they're not directed at Griogre. Thank you!
    No problem, I'm the guy who's around late.

1. When I have a player target a monster a black circle appears, not a colored circle like on the examples in the guide. Why is this?
    The targeting circle is the same color as a player's dice color. As you didn't set the die color it defaults to black. One of the first things you want your players to do is set their dice to different distinctive colors because it's not only the targeting circle it sets the pointer colors too. You set dice colors with a by pressing the "Colors" button at the top right of the FG desktop.

2. In the guide I am having trouble finding help on combat. I do notice that allied squares are "green" while enemy squares are "red". In the player screen on my demo the enemies are indeed red but I, and my allies, are not green. Why is this?
    The colors of monsters are usually set in the monster data. For allies you set the colors in the combat tracker by drag and dropping the color on the bottom to whoever you want to set the color for. I actually don't usually find this feature very useful because players usually know who is on their side and who isn't.

3. I am assuming that fantasy grounds requires a lot of input on the part of the players (which makes it more tabletop and less video game). I am also assuming damage dealt to a player is told to them and they THEY apply it to their stat sheet? I have dragged damage onto a character profile and noticed they do not take direct damage. When a player updates their own HP however, this does show.
    The most input players will do is fill out their character sheet and hotkeys. Different DM's do damage differently. You can let the players deal with their damage or the DM can do it. I'm not sure what you mean by "a character profile." The eaziest way for the DM to do damage to do drag and drop wounds onto characters or monster's on the combat tracker. If you have the player's do it then most of the time they drag and drop to their hp mini sheet. Typically, the more experienced your players are the less they will have their character sheets open. If you use mini sheets and hot keys there is little reason to open your character sheet. After a while the only time that happens is when you have characters using a skill they aren't trained in or seldom used - like sense motives from a fighter or move silently.

4. In this screenshot on the official fantasy grounds webpage you can see their hotkey (this looks like DM mode) is filled with things such as "flanking" and "aid another". How are such hotkeys done and do they only appear when utilizing those monsters?
    You, or your players can make any hot keys you want. There are several ways to make them. Most players will hot key their attacks, damage, spot, listen and initiative. DM's hot key whatever seems useful at the time. I did a whole thead on bonus mods, but it is worth your time to read up what they have in the docs on them. Loosely speaking there are two typical types of numeric hot keys: those what gives mods to a die roll and those that roll the dice. The thread on setting up bonuses is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=7050

5. In the same link as the question above you can see various miniatures on the combat screen and various portraits of players. The portraits however, are different than the miniatures. This seems relatively easy, use a token stored on the players side to represent his character. How does his custom token icon get shared with the rest of us? For that matter how do custom portraits get shared?
    Portraits are the one piece of data actually stored on the player's computer. They are shared out to the host who distributes them which is why if a player first sets or changes a portarit there may be some lag before the other players see them. Tokens are kept in the token box they come from the host computer's token folders. You can add them much like maps by just dropping the images into either a shared or host (only) folder. In FG2 there really is not that much need for the shared tokens anymore. You can link a token with a player that is different from his portrait token. You do that on the combat tracker. From the tracker you can see it wasn't done.

6. In the link on my fourth question I noticed very elegantly made maps. The nice fellow who replied before said many programs exist to make your own maps. Can someone list some of these quality programs? Are they extra cost in addition to Fantasy Grounds or are they free? Does fantasy grounds provide any discounts/free software for image making and mapmaking in addition to the standard fantasy grounds package?
    There are lots and lots of map making programs. Do a search on the forums for mapping programs. I would like to point out you are pretty familar with a map making program - NWN. There is no reason you could not take screen shots of maps directly overhead or in the editor. There are also tons of free maps available on the internet. WotC has their map a week archive that has hundreds of maps by itself. There is a free tile mapper on the WotC site also. It's hard to recommend a map program because a lot of it depends on just how much you work you want to put into making a map. One free mapper is Dungeon Forge.
    Last edited by Griogre; May 15th, 2008 at 08:26.

By the way here is a thread with links talking about some map making programs: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ead.php?t=5887

I thought Id add my question here rather than add another thread.

When adding rulesystems to FG (savage worlds) is it just the GM who has to purchase them or does each player have to as well?

Quote Originally Posted by spookygoose
    I thought Id add my question here rather than add another thread.

When adding rulesystems to FG (savage worlds) is it just the GM who has to purchase them or does each player have to as well?
    Just the DM.

Only the GM will need to actually buy the ruleset, but only those whom have bought it retains the full use of it and can access all books.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Thread Information