Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • two dice with digits 0 .. 9, hence 0 and 0 = 100

51 76.12%
  • dice with numbers 1 .. 10 and 00 .. 90, hence 10 + 90 = 100

16 23.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

d100 / percentile die convention

Representing d100 or percentile die with two 10-sided dice has basically two conventions, reading the digits from the dice directly or adding the two die results up (this has recently been discussed here). Especially the representation of number 100 (or 00) is distinctly different with the two methods: the former method assumes die results 0 and 0 while the latter requires 90 and 10.

What do you think?

I like the way that FGII displays the d% now in terms of the numbers on the dice. Personally, I think it'd be better if the dice were sorted the other way around. i.e. The "tens" dice first then the "units" dice.

If the other method is required, surely two d10 dice could be thrown instead of the custom d% die
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I much prefer the dice separated into two dice, 0-9 on each. It's not that hard to figure out what the percentage is from that.

I do know for a fact that some games (Top Secret SI for example) actually uses the seperate dice for information (ie. in melee combat if you roll a 54 you do '5 points of damage to location 4).
    DM: For reference sake, when a bad guys dies, I'll turn their token over. So an upside down 'A' or 'B' means it's a corpse.
    PC 1: So if we kill a 'M' is it reincarnated as a 'W'?
    PC 2: That damn 'O' just won't die!

My argument is that the first (seemingly more popular) method is easily rolled using 2d10. The custom die caters for the other preference ... but could do with having the dice sorted the other way around.
    Using Ultimate license - that means anyone can play.
    Valarian's Fantasy Grounds Rulesets

I prefer neither choice provided. My suggestion would be one die numbered 0..9 and another die numbered 00..90. This would be the same as most d% sets in real life.
    The Box ruleset modification:
    Lets your players make die rolls that only the DM can see!

I support Dachannien's option

I agree with Dach on this one.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

Although I didn't say so , I intended to ask about the logic rather than what's written on the dice. In other words, do you prefer adding up the two dice (90 + 10 = 100; 00 + 10 = 10) or reading the result from the dice (90 & (1)0 = 90; 00 or 0 & (1)0 or 0 = 100).

I guess the parenthesized ones don't much improve readability
    Last edited by Ged; May 10th, 2008 at 11:27. Reason: reducing bias from the comment

I prefer one die being the 10's digit and the other the 1's digit and 0,0 being 100. Basically the 0 on the ones dice is a zero not a ten.

I always preferred the 00=100 which I think comes from playing so much Rolemaster when I was younger (much younger *sobs*).

One thing, would you have a way of making the "tens" a different colour than the users selected colour, or perhaps a different texture. I always think back to rolling % and saying reds are tens and then wishing I'd picked white as my bolts went shooting off into the air harmlessly

Thread Information