5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Can you have clients connect via localhost and cloud simultaneously?

I run FGU for both local and remote players simultaneously.

To date I have used cloud connections exclusively.

However it would be better if I could permit local folks to connect locally and remote folks to connect via cloud connection.

Is this possible?

If so how?

thanks@!

Short answer - you can only use cloud broker connectivity or local (direct IP) connectivity.

Longer answer - the cloud connection is just a broker that determines the best connection route when the connection is first setup, then the connection is direct from the player FG client to the GM FG server - it'll use the GM's public IP address, but it will be a direct connection no longer using the cloud broker.

You can see this by looking at the player console.log - for example, here's an example from I connect on the same network as the GM using Cloud connectivity:

Code:
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] FGU: v4.5.7 FREE (2024-05-02)
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] OS: Windows 10  (10.0.19045) 64bit
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] GRAPHICS: VMware SVGA 3D : 128
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] UI SCALE: 1
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] USER: trenloetest
    [5/25/2024 10:00:18 AM] Launcher scene starting.
    [5/25/2024 10:00:38 AM] Resolving named connection to server. [Trenloe]
    [5/25/2024 10:00:38 AM] Attempting resolved connection to server. [164.127.77.38:52211, 1923:a880:2:d1::19f:9001:19253]
    [5/25/2024 10:00:39 AM] Attempting authorization. [testertest - DIRECT]
    [5/25/2024 10:00:39 AM] Client connected to host as 'testertest'
    You can see that it resolves the IP:PORT connection to the GM and then connects directly.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 25th, 2024 at 17:11.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

thanks for this, helpful to know!

follow up: when connecting locally (i.e. if you enter ip and port info rather than using cloud) do you need to enter fgu user name and password (i.e. have an account)?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adzling View Post
    follow up: when connecting locally (i.e. if you enter ip and port info rather than using cloud) do you need to enter fgu user name and password (i.e. have an account)?
    Yes, you need to have an account setup for the client - the attached image shows the message presented when you try to join a campaign without an account.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

ok thanks for some reason I thought you could direct connect via IP without an FGU account.

In FGC you used to be able to do this. All on the Local Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    In FGC you used to be able to do this. All on the Local Network.
    External connections required port forwarding in FGC. You can still do that with FGU - port forwarding UDP port 1802 when using "Local" mode, but you'll have to manage the port forwarding yourself, whereas the "Cloud" mode avoids the need for manually setting up port forwarding, which requires admin access to your local Internet router.

Right, but I was talking about if everyone was on the same network (ie LAN party, etc) then everyone used the local IP of the GM and they didn't need accounts. The only one that needed the external access was the GM for a license check. That's probably what they were remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Right, but I was talking about if everyone was on the same network (ie LAN party, etc) then everyone used the local IP of the GM and they didn't need accounts. The only one that needed the external access was the GM for a license check. That's probably what they were remembering.
    But this isn't what the OP is looking for. As mentioned in post #1 they have people remote and local and were asking about using cloud and local connectivity at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Its not that you cant - you just need to know the UDP port that the session is using. It will not be UDP 1802 if you start in cloud mode - it will be some random port - you can find the port number via a netstat command and can connect to it. Its probably really not worth it.

Thread Information