FG Spreadshirt Swag

D&D 5e - Choice of Saving Throw Parsing/Automation (Bulette)

In D&D 5e, is there any way to automate the parsing of abilities that allow for the option of different types of saving throws?

I know I can manually create a copy of the NPC and edit the statblock to have 2 different abilities, but that is very slow/inconvenient when dealing with multiple targets that choose different saves... (spoiler: they always choose the higher one)

Example: Bulette - Deadly Leap:

If the bulette jumps at least 15 feet as part of its movement, it can then use this action to land on its feet in a space that contains one or more other creatures. Each of those creatures must succeed on a DC 16 Strength or Dexterity saving throw (target's choice) or be knocked prone and take 14 (3d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage + 14 (3d6 + 4) slashing damage. On a successful save, the creature takes only half the damage, isn't knocked prone, and is pushed 5 feet out of the bulette's space into an unoccupied space of the creature's choice. If no unoccupied space is within range, the creature instead falls prone in the bulette's space.

This gets parsed into the CT as:

Deadly leap [EFF: Prone] [DMG: 3d6+4 bludgeoning + 3d6+4 slashing] [EFF: Prone] [EFF: Prone]

There is no saving throw to drop on the target(s).

The 5E Aura Effects extension might be able to do this with a little bit of effects "coding" on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by claedawg View Post
    The 5E Aura Effects extension might be able to do this with a little bit of effects "coding" on your part.
    I'm intrigued... how is AURAS able to pick the higher of 2 saving throw values?

You'll need to separate out the two saving throws in order to get them to appear on the CT. There's not a way to have a choice appear otherwise. There may be an extension which will do this (I doubt the Aura extension would do this since this isn't an aura).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You'll need to separate out the two saving throws in order to get them to appear on the CT. There's not a way to have a choice appear otherwise. There may be an extension which will do this (I doubt the Aura extension would do this since this isn't an aura).
    I missed that part. Yeah, I think you'll just have to make 2 separate effect attacks and ask target which to use. Good idea to have it implemented either through SmiteWorks or an extension. Have you entered this into the requests?

Request made. It can behttps://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

"Actions that grant a choice of saving throw"

Thread Information