FG Spreadshirt Swag

Why doesn't Savage Worlds have 3D tokens?

I don't know if the 3D tokens that came with the 4.5 update are only available for certain game systems, but if that's the case, Savage Worlds is apparently not one of them. Whenever I switch to 3D mode, it uses the image I set as Token-Flat instead of the one I set as Token-Camera. I attached an image to show what I mean.
    Untitled.jpg

Yup, the out-of-the-box Savage Worlds NPCs do not have 3D tokens assigned. If I understand correctly it is limited by the available artwork and the available developer effort, so of course the devs did D&D first - more players, but also more available artwork!

You can add 3D token art yourself although you have to do it by hand for each NPC entry. SmiteWorks have provided a lot of rather gorgeous 3D art for fantasy settings free with the latest update (you can find it via the Assets window). Does help much with Weird West or SF settings, sadly. Some of the art work for those has full-length portraits (eg the archetype PCs in the Deadlands sets) but they'd need cutting out and putting on a transparent background, then saving as .webp and importing to FG.

I'm hoping that some of the artists and token makers spot this as a gap in the market and will start providing ready-to-go full length portraits to buy on the Forge.

What I've been doing is using the free FGU artwork and adding it NPC by NPC as I run my SWADE campaign. Some stuff I just don't have suitable pics for (I'm running SF characters in a Fantasy world, so I'm good for beasties but not got much in the way of laser-rifle equipped space soldiers yet, sadly).

Hopefully it'll come, it's a whole new format of product that there wasn't really a use for until FGU 4.5.

Cheers, Hywel

Quote Originally Posted by tslewis123 View Post
    I don't know if the 3D tokens that came with the 4.5 update are only available for certain game systems, but if that's the case, Savage Worlds is apparently not one of them. Whenever I switch to 3D mode, it uses the image I set as Token-Flat instead of the one I set as Token-Camera. I attached an image to show what I mean.
    Untitled.jpg
    So, you've set a "Token - Camera" image for the creature? If so, this will only be read when the token is first added to the map, changing tokens once added to the map won't change the camera view shown. Remove the token from the map and re-add from the combat tracker.

Here's an example, where the token was added to the map after assigning the camera view token.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

There will be some 2.5d in Land of a Thousand Islands and Terror on the Dark Frontier - and I may go back and add some more to the other Savage Rifts content, like Savage Foes of North America, but it is a time consuming endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by tslewis123 View Post
    Untitled.jpg
    Two reasons:
    1. Developers manufacture tokens with artwork supplied by the publishers for that single book. With the one notable exception of the Pathfinder license. For new products we often don't get the full body artwork supplied. In fact, quite often there is no artwork at all.
    2. Products made before 4.5 did not have the feature. We could go back and fix things where the artwork was made available. However, the priority is to get new books out. If there is time it will get done.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

I have two players who want to use this feature because it is "more tabletop immersive". So I've started uploading images to my phone (the new image export feature in FGU is great for this!) and then using a long tap to remove the background, then saving it back to FGU and adding the new "2.5d" version of the image to the Token-Camera icon slot. Sometimes the image doesn't center right so I use the FGU metadata tool to fix it (especially for floating tokens). It's a lot faster than using GIMP or other image editing tool to clear out the background of an image.

Thread Information