FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Fallout Ruleset

Fallout Ruleset

So I'm currently running a campaign (loosely) based on the classic Fallout CRPGs put out in the early 90s. I've revamped the ruleset to handle the SPECIAL system (the ability score system in Fallout games) and the skills. I've changed icons and frames like it was my job. I've used Moon_wizard's excellent add-ons (like a client-side combat tracker) and Dach's "thebox" (which allows players to roll dice into a box and transmits the results only to the DM). Well and good. I've got mildly proficient at pilfering other peoples' hard work and great ideas.

But what I'd like to do now is beyond my meager skills. In Fallout, there's a handheld "monitor" called a PipBoy. It's basically a computer screen with some buttons on the side.

Is it at all possible, do you think, to have the image of the PipBoy come up and have - and here's the catch - the buttons be selectable by the players?

In other words, I could share an image of the PipBoy (or, better yet, players could click something to bring it up for them individually) and then players could click buttons to show the Map, review Archives, check the Status of quests, etc. Do-able in FG or no?

As an aside, the PipBoy represents the "quest giver" in my campaign. As the characters finish certain quests, the PipBoy is updated with a new one. (These quests are transmitted via radio waves by an "Oracle" that the characters met early in the campaign.)

It seems to my uneducated self that an interactive image could be well outside the scope of basic XML/LUA editing, but in the chance I'm wrong, I'd figure I'd ask.

Any ideas?

D

Pipboy for Players

i can't see why this cant be done.

I attempted it in FG1 and had reasonable success. Players had an icon on their desktop that they could click to call up a Pipboy which displayed maps. If this ruleset is just for ur own consumption I hope u've gone through the original Fallout games to help u out with all the images of pipboys and monitors that u need. I even went as far as recreating the character sheets for FG 1 using the original Fallout ones. Including the rotating numbers that they use.

Haven't really had time to play aroung with FG2 but i think it is more than capable. I'm thinking u could use the same functionality of identified items to allow players to see more missions as and when u want them to.
    Regards
    Uni

Another thought for this was to just add each 'mission' as a module and force load them to players when u needed to. Change the icon of the library button to a pipboy icon and hey presto!
    Regards
    Uni

I've tried to do what you mentioned you did in FG1, and I'm...lost. No way can I do it. Heck, man, how did you get the rolling digits for the ability scores? That'd be awesome.

Ahhh...looks like I'll have to wait for someone else to do a better Fallout ruleset and, considering I wrote the rules, I don't see that happening any time soon.

D

Rolling numbers could be done with a multistate icon.
    For your Ars Magica needs :
    https://fgrepository.com

Atque in perpetuum frater, Ave atque vale.

multistate was the method i used!!
    Uni

I'm sorry to be posting to this thread after so many years, but does anyone have a Fallout PnP ruleset? I'm going cross-eyed trying to make one myself. I really don't know what I'm doing with XML. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by calipoet
    I'm sorry to be posting to this thread after so many years, but does anyone have a Fallout PnP ruleset? I'm going cross-eyed trying to make one myself. I really don't know what I'm doing with XML. LOL.
    Sorry Cali - the rudimentary one we were using was lost (along with the rest of my hard drive). I wouldn't weep; it was as bare bones as it comes insofar as rulesets go.

Long live the Wasteland -

D

pretty sure this old post was referring to the fallout ruleset I just put out. I know it used to pop up for years.

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/468/view

forum

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ll-Out-Ruleset

Thread Information