DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Animated map file size

Hi all

Had my first go at animated maps yesterday. I took a 90second animated map, with sound, in 1080p, mp4 format, and converted it to webm vp8 using handbrake. The initial mp4 file was around 74mb, and after conversion, and removing the sound track, the webm file came out at around 200mb.

This is WAY more than the recommended <=10mb recommended in the wiki. Any ideas on how to reduce it dramatically?

Blog Entries
    You can try this batch file if you are Windows to see if you get good results and a smaller file size.

Pre-requisites:
    • Must be reasonably comfortable navigating directories and running stuff from command prompts
    • Download and install ffmpeg
    • https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows
    • Create a .bat file with the following code. I called it convert_single_animation_to_webm.bat. Change the path to ffmpeg in your script.

Code:
    @echo off

set INPUT_FILE=%1

if "%INPUT_FILE%"=="" (
        echo Please provide the input file name as a command-line parameter.
        exit /b 1
    )

if not exist "%INPUT_FILE%" (
        echo The specified file does not exist.
        exit /b 1
    )

mkdir webm

C:\Users\ddavi\Downloads\ffmpeg-6.0-full_build\bin\ffmpeg -i "%INPUT_FILE%" -vcodec libvpx  -pix_fmt yuva420p -auto-alt-ref 0 ".\webm\%~n1.webm"
    Usage:
    • 1. Place .bat file into the current folder or put it in a folder that you will reference later, such as c:\temp. My examples will assume it is in c:\temp
    • 2. Hit the window key and type in cmd to open a windows Command Prompt
    • 3. Navigate to the hard drive where you have your images, such as C:
    • 4. Navigate to the folder where you keep your webm files (example: cd "c:\Users\bobjones\Documents\myimages")
    • 5. Convert the animation to webm (Ex syntax: c:\temp\convert_single_animation_to_webm.bat test.avi
    • 6. Find the converted files in a subfolder called "webm"

Thread Information