DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Players can no longer make notes public

Players can no longer make Notes public in 5E. Previously, there was a checkbox they could mark to make it public. The GM can make the note public by clicking the share button in the note menu bar, but players do not have the button.

5E ruleset, no extensions

I noticed this a few days ago. Players can share via the right-click menu. But, yes, either the old "Public" checkbox or a share button in the header would be preferred.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Players can share via the right-click menu.
    One of my players yesterday tried that, and he didn't have the "share" option in the radial menu. The only way to make a note public was for him to ask me (the DM) to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    One of my players yesterday tried that, and he didn't have the "share" option in the radial menu. The only way to make a note public was for him to ask me (the DM) to share it.
    Only the player who created the note can share it. I've just tested this from a player instance using the CoreRPG ruleset. What ruleset are you using?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Only the player who created the note can share it. I've just tested this from a player instance using the CoreRPG ruleset. What ruleset are you using?
    D&D 5E.

In the attached:
    notes.png

These are all the notes of yesterday's campaign. If I (the DM) right click on the note titled "Bryn Shander" made by player "Kie", the radial menu includes the Share button to share it to everyone. The player who created the note is Kie, not me (the DM), yet I can share it - and if I do click it, it gets the nice "P" icon beside it like the one shared by player ninjaferret.

Howere, player Kie has no options to share the note by themselves: if they right click on the note title, their radial menu does NOT include the Share button. Just tested this very moment with my players.

EDIT:
    here is me joining my own campaign as a player with a second instance of FGU and trying to share a note created by myself (as player, not as DM): the radial menu does not have the Share button.
    my-note.png

Players access the share menu from within the note - they need to open it then right-click on the individual note window.

Players access the share menu from within the note - they need to open it then right-click on the individual note window.
    Just tested it again and this method works - cool, I can let my players share their notes by themselves again, thank you.

That said, this is... bad. It's not documented in the fantasy grounds user manual (or at least, I can't find it anywhere), and it's hard to discover if you don't know about it. Prime example of why internal inconsistency kills feature adoption. One would expect it to work the same way as it does for a DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    Just tested it again and this method works - cool, I can let my players share their notes by themselves again, thank you.

That said, this is... bad. It's not documented in the fantasy grounds user manual (or at least, I can't find it anywhere), and it's hard to discover if you don't know about it. Prime example of why internal inconsistency kills feature adoption. One would expect it to work the same way as it does for a DM.
    I agree it needs to be improved.

Sharing from the campaign data list is fairly recent functionality (i.e. last couple of years), whereas sharing from the sheet has been there for years. Detailed in the Wiki user guide here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Record-Windows

Notes are the only campaign data records that players can share (other than data from within a PC sheet they own). From a coding perspective it's understandable that the primarily GM function of sharing from the campaign data list isn't available to the players as it require specific changes for a subset of a subset of records. Maybe it'll be changed in future, but it's understandable that player functionality can differ from GM functionality in this case.
    Last edited by Trenloe; March 19th, 2024 at 16:05.

I've just pushed a new update to the patch system that should address this. Players can now share notes from the window menu bar which they own.
    Please run a new Check for Updates, and try again.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks, looks like its working! One difference (I think?) with the previous behavior is that when a player Shares the note it pops the note up for the GM and other players, but I'm assuming that's expected.

Thread Information