DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Lag When Re-naming Open Records

This seems to be new... (D&D 5e, no extensions loaded)

Steps to reproduce:

Open Story Database
    Add Item (Green/white Plus)
    Type a name for the new item (in the header of the story record) - FGU lags significantly between every character as it updates the display in the database list as well.
    Close Story Database - Lag intermittently goes away?

I can't quite tell what's happening with the Story Database window closed. Sometimes it's zippy, and sometimes it lags.... like maybe it is still updating behind the scenes but only every second or two instead of near-constantly?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    This seems to be new... (D&D 5e, no extensions loaded)

Steps to reproduce:

Open Story Database
    Add Item (Green/white Plus)
    Type a name for the new item (in the header of the story record) - FGU lags significantly between every character as it updates the display in the database list as well.
    Close Story Database - Lag intermittently goes away?

I can't quite tell what's happening with the Story Database window closed. Sometimes it's zippy, and sometimes it lags.... like maybe it is still updating behind the scenes but only every second or two instead of near-constantly?

Fantasy Grounds does save in the background every five minutes. When you are editing stories or anything, are you still using the large campaign folder and maps loaded or active. Even if we are not looking at an active map or such, it still has some overhead and indexing. Try to work in a blank, or fresh campaign, with very little loaded or added. If the problem still persists, then it might be related to something outside of Fantasy Grounds. If the problem goes away, it might be related to size, and the content of your current campaign. Extensions, even when disabled or inactive can leave behind unwanted remnants and junk code, so hopefully not in thus case. Not all extensions do this, but it depends on how they were written and what they modify or overide. I suspect many of your issues stems from the large campaign size and content. As it grows, it can become mammoth. Your PC might be trying to index your content as you use FG. However, once it reached beyond a certain threshold, the computer will tend to lag, regardless of new or older computers. It is a limit to computing itself. For example, most images edited in an application like Adobe process almost instantly
    But, when you edit and throw in a large high quality photo that's about 2 GB and larger dimensions and 300 dpi it takes my computer over 30 seconds to process and save, even up to a minute to render, as an example.
    I hope you can figure this out. You do a good job tracking down bugs and such with the UI and the functions within the platform.

Cheers,
    Laerun
    Last edited by Laerun; March 14th, 2024 at 19:40.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

I've seen this as well, in a new 5E campaign, no extensions:
    1. Open Story record window, leave open with group set to All
    2. Create Basic or Advanced story, type title, no lag
    3. Load Player's Handbook
    4. With Story record window open and group set to All, create a new story (basic or advanced). Type title. There is significant lag, and FPS drops to 1.
    5. Close Story record window, now typing Story title has no lag
    6. Open Story window, change group to "Uncategorized" no lag
    Last edited by Ecks; March 14th, 2024 at 23:04. Reason: added group setting

@Ecks steps suggest that this is due to the title of the story getting updated after each keypress into the Story data list, and FG will then re-order the list alphabetically after each key press. If there's a lot of records in the list currently being displayed (maybe with multiple pages) then I can see lag as FG will be doing a re-order after every key-press.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Greece & Iceland, depending on the time of year.
    I have noticed this happening to me as well. Previously, FGU would update the name of a record when you clicked away from the Title bar (or if you locked the entry). It now it updates the name on each keystroke. Should be an easy fix to get it to how it was previously.

For what it's worth, this lag only appears to happen for Story records. NPCs/Items, etc. seem to still behave the old way.

I've just pushed a new update to the patch system that should address this. Please run a new Check for Updates, and try again.

Regards,
    JPG

Looks good on my end. Thanks!

Thread Information