STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It works fine for me and I can't see an issue with the data in your screenshot - one thing, make sure you don't have a space on the end of "IntelligentWeapon Heritages"
    OMFG I finally figured out what was causing the issue. I wonder if you can look at that picture and guess? It was right in front of my face and I didn't even think of it because the problem was in a different ancestry ability than I thought...

So: Turns out if an ancestry has two different abilities that could both be parsed as "heritages", something will collide and prevent the heritage screen from being displayed at all. The "SIZE" ability was causing the problem.

Woah! Also: You are apparently wrong about how heritages are parsed.

After doing some more testing, it seems like the code looks for an ancestry ability that contains the word "heritages"... and once it finds it, it looks for heritages that match the name of the ancestry, completely ignoring the contents or name of the feature. See the attached picture for an example: I renamed the feature to "Dwarf Heritages", but when the heritage menu pops up it offers the IntelligentWeapon heritages instead of dwarf heritages. But if I rename the ancestry to "Intelligent Weapon" with a space, then it no longer sees the associated heritages in the popup, regardless of what the ancestry feature is called.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    You are apparently wrong about how heritages are parsed...
    Am I now... I gave very little information on exactly how heritages are presented, all I said was: "Ancestry features/abilities are driven by the "Ancestry Entries" in the Other tab of the ancestry record. To offer heritage selection, there needs to be an ancestry entry with a name ending in " Heritages" - refer to the core races for examples." That statement is correct - all I was doing was giving you information regarding what is needed to present the heritage selection window, I never gave any information on "how heritages are parsed" - it appears you made an incorrect assumption regarding how the heritage lookup data record is matched, which is indeed against the ancestry name.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hah, fair - looking back I see that I made an assumption there.

In my defense, the specifics of how heritages are matched was my original question.

Thread Information