DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How Does the Tracker Match Ancestry Feats to Ancestries?

This is related to the issue with ancestries with spaces in their names I posted in the R19 thread. I'm working on converting the Battlezoo Intelligent Weapon ancestry, and I cannot get it to see its ancestry feats in the tracker. I know the initial issue is caused by the space in the name, so I tried renaming both the trait and the ancestry to "IntelligentWeapon" or "Intelligent_Weapon" - but neither of those causes feats with the trait of the same name to show up in the tracker when the ancestry feats button is clicked.

It's all based on traits. The traits for the PC will be used to filter using the feat traits.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It's all based on traits. The traits for the PC will be used to filter using the feat traits.
    ...Ah, I see the problem, then: The Intelligent Weapon ancestry, as written, only has the Construct trait.

Actually, isn't that going to also be a problem then for the Poppet ancestry from Grand Bazaar, which does not have the Poppet trait?

No, no, I just tested it and poppets seem to see their ancestry feats just fine in the tracker, despite not having the Poppet trait. So... how does that work and can I copy it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    No, no, I just tested it and poppets seem to see their ancestry feats just fine in the tracker, despite not having the Poppet trait. So... how does that work and can I copy it?
    Poppet and fleshwarp are hard coded in the ruleset code. I'd need to modify that code to allow changes from outside of the code - but that would require an extension to make that change.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Gotcha - adding a trait it is.

I'm somewhat surprised you don't go the route of matching the ancestry name to the trait instead, though, since that would avoid the problem for needing to hardcode anything.

I'm somewhat surprised you don't go the route of matching the ancestry name to the trait instead, though, since that would avoid the problem for needing to hardcode anything.
    Because that doesn't work for versatile heritages.

And, of course, the first few releases from Paizo worked perfectly with using traits - until they decided to not add traits for poppet and fleshwarp.

Is there any reason not to match both name and traits, as a failsafe?

...Okay, aside from that though, now I'm driving myself up a wall trying to figure out why heritages aren't working for this ancestry all the sudden. How are those matched? I renamed the ancestry to IntelligentWeapon, I gave it the IntelligentWeapon trait, I put the heritage into the IntelligentWeapon category, and it is still not giving any heritage popup when the ancestry is added. I am so confused.

Is there any reason not to match both name and traits, as a failsafe?
    Maybe. I'll investigate a possible solution.

...Okay, aside from that though, now I'm driving myself up a wall trying to figure out why heritages aren't working for this ancestry all the sudden. How are those matched? I renamed the ancestry to IntelligentWeapon, I gave it the IntelligentWeapon trait, I put the heritage into the IntelligentWeapon category, and it is still not giving any heritage popup when the ancestry is added. I am so confused.
    Ancestry features/abilities are driven by the "Ancestry Entries" in the Other tab of the ancestry record. To offer heritage selection, there needs to be an ancestry entry with a name ending in " Heritages" - refer to the core races for examples.

That was what my impression was, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've attached a picture of the ancestry and the heritage; can you see anything obvious I am missing? When I use the tracker to add the IntelligentWeapon ancestry to a character, no heritages prompt appears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That was what my impression was, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've attached a picture of the ancestry and the heritage; can you see anything obvious I am missing? When I use the tracker to add the IntelligentWeapon ancestry to a character, no heritages prompt appears.
    It works fine for me and I can't see an issue with the data in your screenshot - one thing, make sure you don't have a space on the end of "IntelligentWeapon Heritages"

Thread Information