5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 9 First ... 23456 ... Last
    You know what would be cool? If we could import arbitrary STLs of the type that I print on my resin printer, paint, and use on my physical tabletop....

Whether the GM has a force view ability or not, I'm thinking that it would be good to have some indicator or icon that shows which view each player is using. I could definitely see cases where I'd need to describe a situation/combat/trap slightly differently depending on if the player is in 2D or 2.5D mode. Maybe each player's portrait could be rendered like it would be in the 2.5D view? Or have some sort of icon on it?

Also, out of curiosity, will there be any lighting effects on the NPCs/items/etc in the 2.5D view? Thanks!

Agreed on the indicator. Maybe it's just a slight alteration to the mini-portraits on any given image being viewed by players. A bold color stroke or a semi-transparent "3D" over the portrait.

The switch could be something like the "lock token" button combined with the sync view. The GM sync view to bring every player to the same perspective, then he could "lock" the view, otherwise any player can just see as he wants.
    - - -
    FG Classic / FG Unity Ultimate
    Playing D&D 5th

Quote Originally Posted by fabiocm View Post
    The switch could be something like the "lock token" button combined with the sync view. The GM sync view to bring every player to the same perspective, then he could "lock" the view, otherwise any player can just see as he wants.
    Agreed on showing the view, and I also second having the DM be able to choose whether or not players get to switch views. There are times when I can see wanting a certain map to be viewed by my players in a particular way for immersion/atmosphere which would otherwise be experienced differently than I intended.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    What if I don't use a map at all? Will this support theater of the mind style play?

Yes! This was my original impetus for developing the mode.
    I guess my question there is... why/how would this 3d mode support theater of the mind?

---

I'm generally 'meh' about this feature, it doesn't seem necessary, but I guess folks that are excited about it can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
    I guess my question there is... why/how would this 3d mode support theater of the mind?

---

I'm generally 'meh' about this feature, it doesn't seem necessary, but I guess folks that are excited about it can use it.
    Any map or any mode would support theatre of the mind - since by it's nature no map is required. As you can probably see from the videos in the first post it can show creatures and players in a 2.5d environment which would visually enhance any theatre of the mind experience.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think that if you as a DM wish to share for example a 2.5D scene being able to view whatever scene you as the DM are currently looking at and then clicking "bring the character to scene button" on the map wether it is in 2D or 2.5D would be the same as it currently is... No?

Then if you could lock that scene so it stays present until you the DM are done with your explanation of the scene you could unlock it. At which point the players can view whatever as they were..
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Blog Entries
    I think it will see good use in much the same way people show the actors in a visual novel.

Its going to be really nice for subsector maps, space range maps and stuff with planets and ships. This might be the first time I actually make a test environment once it hits test. :-) cool stuff.

Thread Information