STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    We are shooting for Q1 into the Test channel, assuming we can get a few key camera controls set up by then.

This will be really interesting. I'm surely make good use.

The rocketvaultgames is a good idea that does not look to complicated.
    Assuming not actually going full 3D models for everything.... it could be neat to have an elevation assigned to each layer of an image. This would allow "stacking" flat images and specifying the space between floors.
    Also, for future rendering of the terrain, maybe a normal map instead of a complete 3d rendering would suffice. I guess this would add some shadows and make the appearance better without the need of a full 3D texture.
    - - -
    FG Classic / FG Unity Ultimate
    Playing D&D 5th

Why not both? The DM should have the ability to control this feature in their game. I would like a DM master switch to turn the feature on/off and then a Player switch so they work with their preferred view, if enabled.

Our current thinking is to let the user decide how they want to view the map (whether top-down or camera-based) using a toggle to let them change their view mode. I'm not sure what is gained by having a toggle that forces a view mode, since the actual graphics/data displayed on the image are the same in both view modes, just displayed slightly differently. (i.e. same tokens visible, same line-of-sight/lighting, same pointers visible, etc.) Plus, it would require extra time to develop the feature and APIs to drive forced view modes. This would not be a major project, but not trivial either. Most likely, initially, we will not do forced view modes, and focus on individual user control of their own view mode preference.

Regards,
    JPG

Makes sense. I just wanted to throw it out there to maybe keep that avenue open for the future without inadvertently making it hard/impossible down the road.

My thinking was it might be helpful for the GM to with 1 click have every player see the same 3d view and then revert to each player's previous view.

I still think it would be beneficial upfront to be able to activate/deactivate this feature completely for all players from the GM's side.

What is the advantage of having the GM be able to force block the feature for players completely?
    Also, one of the complications is that then we have to have a global toggle as well as an individual image toggle for forcing.

Regards,
    JPG

My thought is that if the GM doesn't want the 3d view to be available, the players won't ask about it, and the players/gm won't accidentally click on it if it isn't there.

There are times when FGU lags (autosave, or other reasons) and a mouse click is registered in an unintended location. This would be one less thing to click inadvertently or clutter limited real estate if it wasn't planned on being used.

There have been a few time's I've toggled off LOS mid-session having no intention to do so, revealing the whole map.

Definitely not crucial, maybe not worth developing, but I wanted to mention it.

Thanks for all you do!

I guess props and objects on the map to be viewed in 3D ( like a token) would have to have the same properties (PNG files if that is the format your using)? A tree token, for example. This looks great by the way!
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    I guess props and objects on the map to be viewed in 3D ( like a token) would have to have the same properties (PNG files if that is the format your using)? A tree token, for example. This looks great by the way!
    webp would be better than PNG, but yes, that would be the plan. This is what I did in early prototypes built outside of FGU. I used some of the trees and bushes and stuff that Josh Watmough has in our art packs and I thought they really added a lot.

Very Cool! I found that it did add a lot and gave the viewer a sense of perspective and depth. There is a lot one can do with this. Options are many!
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Thread Information