STAR TREK 2d20

Mysteries of the Ancients - Vlen Backett Tall Tales...

I have been working on my 'Ancients' campaign and in Mysteries of the Ancients there is a section of the campaign where the Travellers meet Vlen Backett (probably for the first time). In the text it says he takes a liking to the players and shares "tall tales of his adventures, often beginning with ‘I’ve heard that there was this one time I…’"

Since I did not have anything to add here, I used ChatGPT to create some tall tales from Vlen Backett after giving it some background on him and telling it what I wanted. Below are some of what it came up with. Feel free to use it as you see fit.

===============
    1. **The Lost Starship of Zalos IV**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I discovered the derelict starship of an ancient civilization on Zalos IV. It was hidden beneath layers of dense jungle, its technology far beyond our understanding. Inside, I found a map leading to a lost system rumored to hold the key to faster-than-light travel. But the moment I took the map, the ship vanished into thin air, like it was never there."

2. **The Ghostly Artifact of the Noreen Nebula**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I braved the Noreen Nebula, a place shrouded in ghost stories and dark legends. Amidst its swirling gases, I found an ancient artifact that could project holographic memories. But these weren't just any memories; they were the final moments of long-dead civilizations, tragically beautiful and haunting. I left it there, fearing its power was too great for any one person to wield."

3. **The Underwater City on Aquaria VII**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I dived into the ocean depths of Aquaria VII, finding a submerged city untouched by time. The inhabitants were in a state of suspended animation, waiting for an event foretold in their prophecies. I managed to activate an ancient device that briefly awakened them, and they shared knowledge of a galactic alignment that happens once every million years."

4. **The Mind Crystal of the T'sari**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I encountered the T'sari, a reclusive alien race, and was given a Mind Crystal. It allowed me to experience the universe from different perspectives, transcending time and space. Each vision was a lesson in cosmic harmony, but the crystal shattered when a rival hunter tried to steal it, losing its wisdom forever."

5. **The Time-Shifted Ruins on Chronos III**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I explored ruins on Chronos III that existed simultaneously in the past, present, and future. I witnessed the rise and fall of an entire civilization in mere hours. The ruins showed me visions of possible futures, including one where I was leading an interstellar peace alliance. But as I left, the ruins aged a thousand years in seconds, collapsing into dust."

6. **Chase Through the Asteroid Field of Graxos**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I was pursued by the Graxos System Patrol after 'borrowing' a relic from a forbidden asteroid. The chase led us through the dense Graxos Asteroid Field. I had to navigate hairpin turns and nearly collided with a rogue asteroid. Just when they almost had me, I triggered a solar flare using the relic, creating a blinding light that allowed me to slip away into the depths of space."

7. **The Smugglers of the Red Nebula**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I double-crossed a band of smugglers in the Red Nebula. They caught up with me on a remote space station. I had to use every trick in the book, hiding in cargo bays, donning disguises, and even walking through the station's exterior in a space suit. In the end, I managed to board my ship and launched into the nebula, using its dense gas clouds to cover my escape."

8. **The Syndicate's Trap on New Vega**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I got wind of a price on my head, put there by the Syndicate after I meddled in their artifact smuggling operation. On New Vega, they cornered me in an ancient temple. I used the temple's old defense mechanisms to my advantage, causing confusion and disarray among the hitmen. I narrowly escaped through a hidden tunnel that led me out of the city."

9. **Imperial Entanglement on Seldonis IV**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I inadvertently stole an Imperial artifact, not knowing its significance. Imperial agents tracked me down to a crowded market on Seldonis IV. It was a cat-and-mouse game through the streets, over rooftops, and even through the sewers. Eventually, I managed to mask my escape by causing a diversion with a local festival parade, disappearing into the throngs of celebrants."

10. **Escape from the Black Sun Pirates**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I found myself in possession of a map leading to a Black Sun Pirate treasure. When they found out, they weren't pleased. On the jungle moon of Zanthis, they chased me through thick vegetation, native traps, and treacherous terrain. I had to use all my survival skills to outwit them, eventually finding refuge in a native village where the locals helped me evade the pirates."

11. **Solomani Space - The Forbidden Archives of Terra**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I sneaked into the highly restricted archives on Terra, deep within Solomani space. I was searching for ancient Earth artifacts rumored to hold lost knowledge. Just as I unearthed a mysterious device, Solomani Security Forces stormed in. In the ensuing chaos, I was grazed by a laser blast, leaving a scar as a permanent reminder. I barely escaped, diving into an underground river that led me to safety, but I lost the device in the turbulent waters."

12. **Zhodani Expanse - Mind Games in Zhdant**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I ventured into the Zhodani expanse to procure a psionic artifact. On Zhdant, I found myself outmatched by the Zhodani's mental prowess. They detected my intentions and subjected me to intense psychic interrogation. It was a battle of wits and wills. I managed to escape, but not without suffering lingering psychic echoes that sometimes cloud my thoughts."

13. **Aslan Hierate - Duel on Kusyu**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I found myself on Kusyu in the heart of the Aslan Hierate, accused of dishonoring a local warlord. Challenged to a duel, I had no choice but to accept. We fought with traditional Aslan blades. I held my own but sustained a deep wound across my arm. I earned the warlord's grudging respect, and he allowed me to leave with my life, but the injury took months to heal and left a fierce scar."

14. **Solomani Space - SolSec Pursuit in Alpha Centauri**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I was on Alpha Centauri, decoding a cryptic Solomani relic, when SolSec agents ambushed me. I led them on a harrowing chase through the crowded spaceport, dodging blaster fire and security drones. In the confusion, I suffered a nasty fall, injuring my leg. I managed to stow away on a departing freighter, nursing my wounds as the ship jumped to hyperspace."

15 **Zhodani Expanse - The Stolen Psionics on Tavrchedl**': "I’ve heard that there was this one time I infiltrated a high-security Zhodani research facility on Tavrchedl' to steal psionic-enhancing technology. The heist went smoothly until a psychic alarm was tripped. In the escape, I was exposed to a psionic backlash that temporarily impaired my senses, causing disorientation and severe headaches. It took weeks before I fully recovered my faculties."

16. **Aslan Hierate - Ambush in the Stiyha Sector**: "I’ve heard that there was this one time I was negotiating for an ancient artifact in the Stiyha Sector of the Aslan Hierate when rival hunters ambushed me. In the ensuing skirmish, I took a blaster shot to the shoulder and was forced to retreat into the dense jungles. I narrowly evaded capture, but the wound became infected, leaving me feverish and weak until I could find medical help days later."

================

Enjoy
    Last edited by Stargrove; November 21st, 2023 at 01:02. Reason: updated Title; added a few more items

Thread Information