DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Focus Spells and Spell Level

Since Focus Spells can't have a spell level assigned, would it be possible for them to automatically calculate their spell level as CL/2 rounded up?

That way Focus Spells with +2 heightening could be set to "Odd Spell Levels" and calculate correctly; currently that works for regular spells but not for Focus Spells since Focus Spells always think they are level 1 (or whatever level the unheightened version of the spell is).

It would be nice if cantrips did the same thing, actually, for the same reason.
    Last edited by MaxAstro; September 26th, 2023 at 16:42.

We have an update of the heightening options in the pipeline, which keeps the existing entries but expands upon how these can be used. I'll make a note to look into adding something like this as part of that update.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So... I could put something in quickly - if the spell has a spell type of FOCUS or CANTRIP then "Spell Level", "Odd SLs" and "Even SLs" would use PC level/2 (rounded up) as the spell level. It wouldn't check if the spell was in a Focus spells spellclass or if it was prepared in a cantrips spell slot - making it check those would be more complex. Would that be OK (i.e. just looking at the spell type of the record)?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I think assuming that the spell is configured correctly is a reasonable assumption, and I can't think of any reason you would want to put a regular spell into a cantrip or focus slot or vice versa, so that seems perfectly reasonable to me. Thank you so much!

As long as we are granting wishes related to spell levels, would it be possible to have a (ideally optional) way to lock the caster level of a spell class to match the PC's level? Quite a few times I've had PCs who have additional spell classes from multiclassing or whatever forget to increase their caster level for the spell class.

Technically it could be non-optional since caster level, according to the rules, should never be equal to anything other than character level. I just like being able to override automation wherever possible just in case some weird use case comes up. :P

EDIT: idk how simple this would be, but instead of a "click and type" field, CL could be a field like ability scores are where you use CTRL+mousewheel to make manual adjustments. Then it could be locked to PC level but still able to be adjusted in an emergency.
    Last edited by MaxAstro; September 26th, 2023 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    As long as we are granting wishes related to spell levels, would it be possible to have a (ideally optional) way to lock the caster level of a spell class to match the PC's level? Quite a few times I've had PCs who have additional spell classes from multiclassing or whatever forget to increase their caster level for the spell class.

Technically it could be non-optional since caster level, according to the rules, should never be equal to anything other than character level. I just like being able to override automation wherever possible just in case some weird use case comes up. :P
    The ruleset code should increase the CL entry for each spellclass when the PC levels up. Although I've just seen an exception when doing some testing, so will need to look into that.

I agree that RAW CL should always be the PC level, but it's possible that users having done some custom stuff using a different CL so I don't want to remove it.

When I fix the edge case I've just found (for example, a Divine Font cleric spellclass resets back to 2 every other level increase), the CL should increase across all spell classes and any custom use of CL will have to be adjust manually after leveling.

Interesting - is that true for spell classes manually added to the PC as well?

That certainly works, if so.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    Interesting - is that true for spell classes manually added to the PC as well?
    Yep, the CL of all spellclass sections in the PC actions tab increase by 1 (as long as that doesn't go over the current PC level) when a PC adds a level.

The issue I've found was specific to the Cleric Divine Font automation, which I've fixed. So this should all be work correctly.

Cool. I wonder how some of my PCs ended up with mismatched CLs then... Then again I don't remember exactly how long ago it was that I noticed that. Perhaps they were older characters. In any case, thanks again!

I've checked in the Divine Font Fix and the following update: "Spells of FOCUS or CANTRIP spell type will use the PC level/2 (rounded up) for the Spell Level, Odd SLs and Even SLs spell action multiplier setting."

Keep an eye on the City Hall update thread for when it gets pushed.

Thread Information