STAR TREK 2d20

effects keywords

Is there a list of all the effects keywords? Digging through items to try and figure out what is what is painful. Like "darksight", finding that one took a bit. And how do you code "+2 to sight-based notice checks"? Is there an effect for infrared?

Long story short, a list of words would be super helpful.

Nightvision gives the "infrared" green vision. Darkvision gives full colour vision in darkness. Low Light Vision black and white vision.

If you look in the Abilities window, there is Low Light Vision, Infravision with the effects example like Infravision [Halve #Illumination] and Low Light Vision [Ignore #Dim #Dark]

Have a look here for more examples.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Worlds+Effects

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac22 View Post
    And how do you code "+2 to sight-based notice checks"?
    There are a couple ways to do it but you need to be aware of parsing limitations, for example you can't parse [Notice (Vision)+2] but you can parse [Notice Vision +2]; ie. you can make as many new skills as you want but you can't use the traditional Notice (Vison) method of notating those "sub-skills" if you want to parse the effects the regular way. With that in mind, the easiest way to get what you're after is to make a new skill called Vision or whatever, and then parse the effect in the ability that modifies it as [Vision +2]. This method works best if you think you'll wind up needing those effects more than once, and will let you automate things that aren't automated out of the gate because they only affect skills at certain times, such as things like the Streetwise Edge, or Hindrances like Hard of Hearing. The parsing gets more complicated if you add spaces to the skill names, but it will still technically work as long as you go [blah blah +2, other words +2] for things that modify two custom skills, cause the normal [blah blah|other words+2] won't work.

If you want to use the traditional SW method of notation, you could make a skill called Notice (Vision) and drag it over as you would any other skill, but you have to add the modifier manually via the radial menu. You don't technically have to make a new skill, you can just drag a second Notice skill over and throw the modifier on that. It can get convoluted with naming if you rename both the skill and label the modifier, so I choose to leave the modifier field blank and name the skill after whatever is modifying it for quicker visual reference. This method works best if it's something you might only need to do once or twice or if you are a stickler for sticking to the naming conventions.

Interesting approach, I never thought of creating situational skills that way but it does make me wonder if maybe the better answer would be very much like with Combat attacks where you can make sub-attacks if that wouldn't be a good way to approach something like this, too. Make a "sub-skill" so you at least get that nice visual indent if you created a sub-skill for Notice called Vision or Hearing or whatever the situation is. I normally just try to get my players to remember their modifiers and be sure to add them to the roll when the situation applies but since we only game either once a week or every other week (depending on the night) some of the guys have a tendency to forget what that character's abilities like that are.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

That would be amazing functionality! I've honestly been debating commissioning someone to make a custom version of the ruleset to fix a couple problems I have, and that would definitely be a welcome addition. The problem is stuff like Persuasion where you can have 5 or 6 different things all tweaking it but only in certain situations, so you can wind up in that rare instance where you have something like Aristocrat, Attractive, Outsider, and Streetwise where you'd need way too many subskills to catch all scenarios and just using modifiers as normal is the "faster" method.

I've always found that the more effects I try to automate, the more confusion it causes when, as mentioned above, it falls into a weird situation that creates impact.

In the spirit of Fast, Furious, Fun if I can't automate it all of the time, I generally don't and find some other method. Sub attacks and sub skill as previously mentioned is the most effective way that I've personally found to accomplish this, but I still use and require use of the modifier box.

If anyone has a better method, I'd love to learn, but I think we may be up against some backend limitations in one way or another.

The Savage World Devs are very responsive both here and on the Discord, and have very logical reasoning for most of the decisions that they make up to and including ease of use for the largest subset of the player/gm base. That said they do make frequent adjustments to simplify issues that haven't come to their attention before and I for one, greatly appreciate it.

I hear that, we play so sporadically that I have a hard time remembering what stuff is automated and what stuff I have to do manually. I think a lot of the problems I have stem from the fact that FG can do so much stuff that unless everyone at the table has enough interest to sit down and learn what it can do and how many different ways those things can be done, it will generally be less work for me if I just do everything manually and have them only use FG as a glorified online character sheet. My players still have trouble with the modifier box after 2 years, god bless 'em, so my quest to automate everything humanly possible is an effort to try and make it as easy as possible for people who have no idea what they're doing be able to roll almost everything they need from the sheet without them having to spend a minute looking for something like the Modifiers or Effects or sometimes even the Combat Tracker.

Thread Information