STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Those other virtual table tools are horrible....

I just wanted to let everyone know that Fantasy Grounds is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the other major virtual table tools out there: Battlegrounds, RP Tools, OPEN RPG, etc.

I may be preaching to the choir, but I installed and demoed all of them. There is hands down no comparison, especially in EASE OF USE. A lot of the other tools made me feel like I was in a computer science class trying to figure out how they work.

Just my .02
    "Thou art my battle ax and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations, and with thee will I destroy kingdoms."
    Jeremiah 51:20

I use FGII almost exclusively, but I like Battlegrounds too. It certainly has its place. I've used it to do tactical games and board games. We ran a game of Formula De across it one night. I hear you though. FGII is a most excellent tool. I have a lot of time invested in it and I've played some awesome games and met some great people through it.
    Ultimate License
    Rulesets by NezziR:
    WFRP2 for FGI, WFRP2 for FGII, Dark Heresy for FGII,
    Savage Fallout for FGII and Savage Worlds, FGII help mod.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fgvtt/files

While Fantasy Grounds is my preferred program, in the interest of fairness some of the other ones like Maptool do have some advanced lighting things and other features that are above what Fantasy Grounds can do ... for now.

However, I do agree that most of the other applications feel like a program and often have things buried in menus within menus or have hard to remember keyboard combinations for everything. I like the Fantasy Grounds philosophy of keeping the interface smooth and simple but still able to have some flexibility and functionality.
    Last edited by joshuha; January 29th, 2008 at 02:26.

I'm not going to try and be fair and impartial.

Fantasy Grounds is King! Thanks Smiteworks for a great program.

Sigurd

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about."

Yup, FGII is the best for role playing like D20, but I have a lot of respect for Battlegrounds. Like Nezzir said, it's great for tactical games, with the big maps. And the developer is incredibly responsive.

That's where I lie--when choosing our VTT it was down to Fantasy Grounds II vs Battlegrounds RPG. FG2 felt so much more natural--like sitting at a table, and that's what led us here. But BRPG looked pretty cool--it was definitely my #2 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorn
    That's where I lie--when choosing our VTT it was down to Fantasy Grounds II vs Battlegrounds RPG. FG2 felt so much more natural--like sitting at a table, and that's what led us here. But BRPG looked pretty cool--it was definitely my #2 pick.
    The actual conversation:

Xorn: With this one we get to roll dice!
    Everyone else: Sweet, let's do that one.
    Xorn: Blah blah blah (something about the DM tools)
    Everyone else: *repeatedly rolling 30 d20s at once*

I really enjoy Fantasy Grounds, but I also like Klooge.Werks.

While Fantasy Grounds is more polished looking and straight-forward, Klooge has the capability for extensive automation and customization.

In our Klooge game; all the modifiers are all precalculated; to-hit rolls, crit confirmations and DR are all automated; flanking and point blank range mods are automatic; and more. In fact, I was able to rewrite the whole spell handling system to automatically handle 90% of the spell rules as well. (Ex: Target 5 targets and toss a fireball, saves are rolled automatically and damage applied) However, I have had more hiccups with networking than with Fantasy Grounds.

Of course, if I can get all my feature requests added (targeting, etc.), then I can create the same improvements in FG.

Cheers,
    JPG

I am on the side of most here. My preferred VTT is FG2 for D20 and Savage Worlds. For tactical games though I prefer BattleGrounds. MapTool and Klooge do have better lighting effects but I found Klooge to be too steep a learning curve for the people that I played with and customization is possible but a pain. MapTool or Viewing Dale are the ones I would use in a face to face environment for projecting a battle map.
    All things in life are questions of balance/or timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriul
    The actual conversation:

Xorn: With this one we get to roll dice!
    Everyone else: Sweet, let's do that one.
    Xorn: Blah blah blah (something about the DM tools)
    Everyone else: *repeatedly rolling 30 d20s at once*
    Exactly! FG is fun

<Toadwart CTRL-rolls his d20 and watches it spin . . .>
    Work Less, Game More!

Thread Information