Starfinder Playlist

Quick check of WEBM VP8/VP9 Codec - Windows 11

Here's quick way to see if a webm file uses VP8 or VP9 Codec. VP9 doesn't currently work in Fantasy Grounds due to Unity not supporting it.

In Windows file explorer, go to a directory that contains your webm files and switch to detailed view:

Then right click on the column headers and click "More" then scroll down and select "Video Compression":

This will add a Video Compression column to file explorer:

Whereas this might seem like a long number, the only thing we're interested in is the 4th number - 3038... or 3039... the first is VP8 codec, the second is VP9.

So, from the above screenshot, we can see that the first two files are VP8 and the last three are VP9. Looking at these in FG, we see that only the VP8 files are usable in FG:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Nice one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

FYI, you can also check in Windows 10, for those that have not upgraded yet.

Click on the View Tab in Windows Explorer, then select Add Columns, then choose Column.

After that, it's pretty much the same, check the box for Video Compression (scroll down to the bottom), then click OK.

Another nice one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

So, what do I do if it doesn't show anything in the Video compression folder for a .webm file?

Screenshot 2023-06-15 180911.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi the Red View Post
    So, what do I do if it doesn't show anything in the Video compression folder for a .webm file?

Screenshot 2023-06-15 180911.jpg
    If it's just for the odd webm file, then it's probably to do with how that file was encoded/created. If it's all webm files then try CTRL+F5 to refresh, and if that doesn't work, try rebooting.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If it's just for the odd webm file, then it's probably to do with how that file was encoded/created. If it's all webm files then try CTRL+F5 to refresh, and if that doesn't work, try rebooting.
    It seems to be for webm files exported from Dungeon Alchemist specifically...I'm guessing they are using the VP9 codec, as they show up as just white in the Assets window, and don't seem to be working.

EDIT: And just confirmed from the DA folks, they do in fact only export using VP9 codec...Bummer.
    Last edited by Lexi the Red; June 16th, 2023 at 00:49.

NM... Got it!!! Works. Sweet. Dropped my first animated spell token onto a map!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gawain the Great; June 16th, 2023 at 03:29.

Codec info on a mac

I'll add how to get the codec info on a mac: simply select the file in Finder, File -> Get Info (command I shortcut). I n the info window expand the more info tab, you'll find the codec there. See also the attached picture.

Also a question: I converted a spell animation (coming from JB2a Assets, the one in the picture) to VP8, apparently On2 VP8 whatever that is, but it shows as empty in FG, while it plays fine e.g. in VLC. What am I missing?

EDIT There is some discussion of the issue I am asking about here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...esources/page7

https://imgur.com/a/FVuk27aScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 21.07.20.png
    Last edited by snupy; March 26th, 2024 at 23:37. Reason: question I asked had been discussed in other thread

Thread Information