5E Character Create Playlist

Couple of questions from a newbie

While I’m not new to participating in RPGs and also DMing, I am a total newbie to using Fantasy Grounds. However, I couldn’t resist the urge to DM in a VTT environment and decided to take the plunge.
    That said I have two quick “newbie” questions.

• Can I, as the DM, create characters in my campaign that I’d eventually turn over to a couple of folks who want to participate in my game? We have a couple of individuals who aren’t very technically adept, and I’d like to make playing the game as easy as possible. I figured if I could pre-develop their characters that would make it a bit easier to coax them into the game. However, would that cause them any issues in terms of getting into and controlling these characters when they join my campaign?

In short, can I as the DM create characters that can be handed off to folks joining as PCs?

• My D&D 5E campaign uses some home brew character skills and a couple of character classes not found in the normal 5E rules. How would I go about adding these to my campaign, so they are automatically connected to the PC’s characters (skills) or available to the PCs as new character classes.

Any help/insights would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, any characters that you create in your campaign will be available to your players unless you specifically allocate them as DM only characters (via right clicking over them in the character selection window and actioning them to the DM). You can also release any characters that you have grabbed as DM and release them via the same right click menu.

You can create a module of homebrew items which you can share with your players. See video Forty One here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity or the wiki here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...vating+Modules
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Welcome to Fantasy Grounds.

For almost all of your questions there is a great series of videos:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity

There is also a great community over in Fantasy Grounds Academy for people helping each other. They are here and have a full Discord server.

For a quick answer to these questions:
    For creating characters, yes. Anyone can create a character. If you do it as the DM then you can go to Characters are release them so that anyone can pick up the character when they log in.

For home brew things yes you can create anything you want, add it to the character sheets etc. You will see in the above videos the best way to do that is to copy a skill/spell/etc. that is similar and then modify it. Also referenced is creating them in an empty campaign to make a module for export. Then you can use them in a variety of campaigns, share them with other DMs, etc.

Also be sure to check the forums here for the 5E specific questions.

Fantasy Grounds can seem daunting, but any good adventure is.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Thank you very much for this excellent information! I will check out the videos this week. Yes, FG does seem daunting, but with so much support, It'll be a great adventure.

Also note that if you are playing in Pathfinder the import process from PCGen is really good.

Thread Information