DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU vs Foundry for PF2e

So, I am interested in feedback from people who have used both FGU and Foundry specifically for PF2e. See, I'm kinda torn. I own the ultimate license for FGU (and spent a LOT of money on it over the years, albeit 5e stuff), AND I own Foundry. So, the issue of purchasing one vs the other isn't an issue.

I also own the core PF2e stuff in foundry; a ton of it was free, and what wasn't came in through a humble bundle for $25. Now, with that in mind, Foundry has a lot less in terms of adventure modules and such but, on the other hand, I TEND to prefer original content of my own making rather than official adventures, so that means I only need rules material and not adventures.

As such, it would seem that, purely from a cash standpoint, Foundry is the cheaper way to go, as I'd have to buy everything for FGU's PF2e rules.

However.

I don't shy away from spending money on my hobby. Not rich here, but I can afford to spend some when I want to. As such, I am willing to invest the money if I find it worthwhile. The thing is, while the two VTTs both have their pros and cons, not sure I see one having enough strengths over the other to make it valuable to spend the money, based on the above stipulations. But maybe I'm wrong?

So, the question is, considering I already have PF2e's rules (like, basically ALL of them) in Foundry, and nothing for PF2e in FGU, what reasons might I have to use FGU anyway?

This thread collects a lot of pros and cons from the platforms: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...es-set-quality. A big point is, if you want official material (with all the art and text content, especially for the Lost Omens line) inside of your VTT, FG is the way to go. If you only care about rules and mechanical implementation, FG and Foundry are pretty similar in features (and will be even closer after recently announced support for webp/webm and Release 19 for PF2e ruleset).
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

Quote Originally Posted by dsaraujo View Post
    This thread collects a lot of pros and cons from the platforms: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...es-set-quality. A big point is, if you want official material (with all the art and text content, especially for the Lost Omens line) inside of your VTT, FG is the way to go. If you only care about rules and mechanical implementation, FG and Foundry are pretty similar in features (and will be even closer after recently announced support for webp/webm and Release 19 for PF2e ruleset).
    Well, I went after posting this and did a bit of a price comparison; my humble bundle (or whatever it was I bought lol) and what I got for $25 would cost me ballpark $260 here (for the rules, advanced players guide, and the beastiaries; I dont need adventures but I do need critters!!!) and yes, I know, humble bundles tend to give great discounts, but....

Now again, I am still willing to spend the money IF I find the value in it, but it does kinda weigh in Foundry's favor to me. But, I've used FGU and its predecessor for a very long time. And, I have a lot more familiarity with FGU

I'll go read that thread you linked now

EDIT: omg, I'm the one who started that thread. OOPS! *blushing*

If you own the PDFs on Paizo.com then up to the value of that PDF is discounted from your purchase on FG. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...izoAccount.xcp

You can save a bit more by waiting for the sales - there's usually at least two PF2 products on sale each week.

And my comments in your original thread are still valid: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post685249
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    If you own the PDFs on Paizo.com then up to the value of that PDF is discounted from your purchase on FG. More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...izoAccount.xcp

You can save a bit more by waiting for the sales - there's usually at least two PF2 products on sale each week.

And my comments in your original thread are still valid: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post685249
    Yeah, last time I was just asking about the rules set for FGU specifically, though I obviously turned it into a Foundry vs FGU conversation pretty quickly.

That discount certainly helps!

Its interesting. I find that the pros and cons of the two systems really do kinda war with me. The sound nodes and integration is really nice in Foundry, but the combat tracker is so much nicer in FGU.

So... I'm probably leaning towards FGU, as the sound issue just isnt as important, cool as it is, and I may even use Talespire or the upcoming RPG Stories instead of the FGU mapping program, because 3D maps are so cool. If I do that, sound just wont be as important as the combat tracker.

Sound is currently being added to the program as it is currently on the TEST server available for testing.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Well well well, Paizocon just started, today being first day, and they have a time slot on twitch at 4 pm pdt, and 5 pm pdt, talking about foundry and FGU respectively! how fortuitous!

I currently GM PF2 on both and I love FGU but prefer Foundry at this point. Why:

1. You can ping on a map
    2. Everything can pop out and be spread across multiple screens
    3. Sound and audio is very streamline. I still can't figure out how it works in fgu.
    4. Spell templates are the actual shape of the aoe instead of circles,cones and squares. Spell templates are active and apply damage ,saves ect automatically.
    5. Pdf's can be imported into the table top with amazing results including maps with Los.
    6. Overall better mod support and tons of free content.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king

A question regarding FGU and its automation:

PF2e has the ability to use skills to do targeted actions, much like spells; for example, if you want to do a Feint or Demoralize, those are skill actions against a DC based on one of the target's abilities. You can do that with spells, but is there a way to do that with skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel View Post
    A question regarding FGU and its automation:

PF2e has the ability to use skills to do targeted actions, much like spells; for example, if you want to do a Feint or Demoralize, those are skill actions against a DC based on one of the target's abilities. You can do that with spells, but is there a way to do that with skills?
    Coming soon(TM): https://youtu.be/K3vomDTseB4
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information