5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Using FGU regarding a Character's Familiar Ability (Otherworldy Patron)

Hello, I am a first time DM and setting up a campaign (Dragonlance - The Shadow of the Dragon Queen) and a warlock character asked about using the Otherworldly Patron during combact or use of the patron abilites to obtain the patron abilites when travering a dungeon.
    Do I as a the DM have the option to active the patron's abilites in combat scenerio? If so, how can I use FGU to activate that option?

cardsonin2006

Blog Entries
    What abilities are you referring to? The expanded spell list?
    Temporary hit points you just add the appropriate amount when applicable.
    But I think you mean something else...?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

What abilities are you referring to? Its listed as a level one ability: Otherworldy Patron "At 1st level, you have struck a bargain with an otherworldly being of your choice: the Archfey, the Fiend, or the Great Old One, each of which is detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 1st level and again at 6th, 10th, and 14th level."

The expanded spell list? not a spell but an ability.

Temporary hit points you just add the appropriate amount when applicable.
    But I think you mean something else...? I is listed as an ability and didnt know how its to be used in combat or other actions for a Level 1 Warlock.

"Otherworldy patron" is not a combat ability: it means that the character, at some point during their life, made a pact with an otherworldy creature. During character creation your player needs to choose one otherworldy patron (Archfey, Fiend, Great Old One or one of the others detailed in other D&D books), and the character will be stuck with that patron from then on. Then you go into the description of each Otherworldly Patron, and see what ability that Patron grants at 1st level (e.g. Archfey at 1st level grants Fey Presence, Fiend gives Dark One Blessing, and so on). Each 1st level ability granted by each patron might be or might not be an ability to use during combat.

Does this answer your question?

Lo Zeno and LordEntails,
    Well, I misunderstood the player's 'familiar' as being part of the Unworldly Patron. They have a familiar because of a Warlock's "Pact Boon-Pact of the Chain. The familiar is a Quasit (MM, p.63) who will be oppressively obsequious while also subtly trying to get the character to do bad things, which they are misinterpeting as an outrageous sense of humor in addition to allow some of the abilite=ues of the Quasit such as the dark vision.
    Is there a way to utilize or add some qualities to a character on a part time basis?

In the MM p63 the part they are referring is : Familiar. The quasit can serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the quasit senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. While the quasit is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the quasit's Magic Resistance trait. At any time and for any reason, the quasit can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.
    Last edited by cardswonin2006; May 26th, 2023 at 13:32.

To use the familiar, a simple way is to copy the entry of the Quasit and rename it as "<Charachter's name> Quasit", then drag that into the Combat Tracker - from there, you can drag the familiar into a map if you're using one, or just use it as part of the combat like any other creature. To use the Quasit's Magic Resistance trait, which answers your question about adding some qualities to a character on a part time basis, just open the Combat Tracker, open the "Effects" section of the character that has the familiar, and add a new effect with the text Magic Resistance. Each time the Quasit familiar moves further than 10 feet from the character, click on the green "ON" icon near the Magic Resistance effect until it becomes a red "OFF" icon, and when the Quasit is back to being within 10 feet of the character click on the "OFF" icon until it becomes a green "ON" icon.

If you want to read more about Effects and what they can do, see here:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ced+Automation
    And here instead https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Combat+Tracker you can see how to manage the Combat Tracker (including how to turn effects on and off, how to make them automatically turn on or off at each turn, how to add friendly NPCs like familiars, etc)

Blog Entries
    You can also add the Magic Resistance effect to the characters action tab. Then they can turn it on and off (add and remove from the combat tracker) on their own. Some GMs like to do all the work for the players, I try to get the players to be as self-sufficient as possible

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information