STAR TREK 2d20

New to Starfinder, both in and out of FGU - Firing Arcs...

Is there a map or token overlay that you can affix to a ship token to show firing arcs? We did our first starship combat the other night, and found a lot of time was spent looking at the best way to move to either line up arcs optimally, or to avoid baddy's arcs...

This was on Discord the other day.
    https://discord.com/channels/2745828...72900018569277

Madman
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post

Madman
    I cannot access the channel

space_combat.width-1080.png

Something like this? (Just an image not an overlay) Starship combat in Starfinder takes a little getting used to but part of the challenge/fun is putting your ship into it's best firing arcs while avoiding the BBEG's best arcs. Some of our most rewarding experiences playing Stafinder have been doing starship combat. I enjoy how the system tries to make sure everyone has a role. However, I would not want to GM starship combat in Starfinder. Lots to do and keep track of. All the same phases as the players, but with only the GM controlling it! Hope you and your group has fun.
    Currently DM for the 5E homebrew campaign, Sands of Al-Khemet (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating
    Currently play as Scrax, a Ysoki operative/gunslinger, in Starfinder's Dead Suns adventure path (Sun, 9am-12pm EST) Alternating

Correct - We have the arcs in the core rulebook, but it would be great to have some way to add or show them on a map. Last time we were using the markup tool (which is sloppy) or occasionally a pointer... I was hoping there would be something that could be attached to a token or an image that could be placed over the token to show where the arcs are...

Quote Originally Posted by Terenn View Post
    I was hoping there would be something that could be attached to a token or an image that could be placed over the token to show where the arcs are...
    I think an image with background transparency that the GM could add and move around is probably the most likely option - the GM would have to resize to fit the ship, map, etc..

We'd just need someone to create that image!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I just threw these together in Photoshop. Maybe they will work for you..

Madman
    The zip file is the PSD file for PS

The one with transparency will be a pain if tokens overlap. There is an extension that will help with that though.
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/953/view
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by madman; April 25th, 2023 at 15:33.
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post

Madman
    Quote Originally Posted by Terenn View Post
    I cannot access the channel
    Hey all!

For those that don't have access to Discord or the channel Madman pointed to, I've attached the original template image I made specifically to address this very issue with a similar thought.

Please feel free to make use of it however you see fit. Hope it helps!

P.S. I need to post stuff like this more often in these forums as posts on Discord will eventually be lost over time as the chat threads grow.

SF Facing Template.png

Thanks for this! Is there a way to "Group" the starship token and this transparent marker on a map? I would make it simpler to move. However, I'm thinking that having the pair is kind of like having a pair of pegs on a cribbage board. On a turn, one token (the arc indicator) can represent where the starship started from and the other can be used to try out different options for where it will go. When you are sure you know the move you want to make, you can pull the actual starship on top of the arc indicator.

Thread Information