DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Why can players connect only when I use 1 specific ethernet port on PC?

Hi ya'll, really interesting networking problem that I am hoping someone smarter than me can help me solve. I recently bought and installed a 2.5g ethernet port in my gaming PC to support the 5g fiber at my house. This is meant to give my players a more stable experience in FG when they log into game. However, I've run into an interesting problem.

The connection to my ip/PC only works if the cable is plugged into a specific ethernet port. Plugging my ethernet cable into any other port (including my new one) seems to prevent the players from logging into hosted game (LAN option, not cloud table). I've double checked my firewall and can verify my IPv4 hasn't changed--so I'm wondering why players can only connect on a specific ethernet plug(port?) on my PC. Is there another function, tag, option, or otherwise that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

If you are connecting via LAN then you'll need to port forward which I assume you must have done initially. Changing your set up will probably have changed the IP address of your computer so the port forward rule will not be pointing to the correct location.

Have you tried a Cloud connection? It's much easier and requires no special set up.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eccoed View Post
    Hi ya'll, really interesting networking problem that I am hoping someone smarter than me can help me solve. I recently bought and installed a 2.5g ethernet port in my gaming PC to support the 5g fiber at my house. This is meant to give my players a more stable experience in FG when they log into game. However, I've run into an interesting problem.

The connection to my ip/PC only works if the cable is plugged into a specific ethernet port. Plugging my ethernet cable into any other port (including my new one) seems to prevent the players from logging into hosted game (LAN option, not cloud table). I've double checked my firewall and can verify my IPv4 hasn't changed--so I'm wondering why players can only connect on a specific ethernet plug(port?) on my PC. Is there another function, tag, option, or otherwise that I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
    "and can verify my IPv4 hasn't changed" this would only be true if you set the ip address as static in Windows settings for the new adapter.
    each Ethernet port has its own MAC address.

yeah, I had initially done a static ip, had to refresh the device list on my router for it to read new network card---but it kept the static IP. so I'm not going to overthink it.

thanks for your quick response. I was able to figure it out refreshing the device list on my router. I'd love to host cloud at some point, but it never works/worked when I have tried to host cloud with my players. So for now, we just use Lan connection coz it's always been consistent.

Thread Information