5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Vehicles and player targeting of components

I can't figure out how a player can target Vehicle components - which kind of defeats the purpose of having targetable components. Am I missing something? Or is this simply not usable for players? I'm for sure a lazy DM and without the ability for players to target something I have no desire to babysit their targeting.

[Post Edit: I mean also on the map of course - not tried it for them if they could see something in the CT but I'm not sure its not working on CT because of extension or I have no clue how to target components at all]
    Last edited by SilentRuin; March 27th, 2023 at 17:52.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Actually I just turned off all extensions and still can't figure out how to target a vehicle component in host or client - CT or map.

You have to drag and drop attack/damage rolls directly onto the component on the combat tracker; that's the only way to target components directly.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    You have to drag and drop attack/damage rolls directly onto the component on the combat tracker; that's the only way to target components directly.

Regards,
    JPG
    Ugh. That implies it also has to be visible on players CT. Not something that will happen in my world as I insure they only see things under their control/same faction/or same group so that LOS/Lighting on map are pure arbitrators of targeting. As manually clicking visible/invisible every time something becomes actually visible on map is not something my lazy DM self is ever going back to

Any plans in the immediate future to make components targetable from the map token targeting system?

Maybe I'm not following along, why not have the main vehicle as a visible combatant on the CT, and then the invisible components of the vehicle, so the players drop the damage on the vehicle, then you determine the components that was damaged and drag that damage roll to the right item?

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Maybe I'm not following along, why not have the main vehicle as a visible combatant on the CT, and then the invisible components of the vehicle, so the players drop the damage on the vehicle, then you determine the components that was damaged and drag that damage roll to the right item?
    For all player CTs in my game I do not want to manage what they see in CT (as in cheat and see things that are not currently visible via LOS/LIghting) where I have to constantly toggle the visible/invisible toggle as they go in and out of sight. I leave all targeting up to the map in my games. However, it looks like if I ever want to have component damage as part of my game I would literally have to do this. And I just tested it out with my Sloop which has the 6 cannons, helm, and sails per that ships requirements (just a test as I'm really interested in trying to apply it to spaceships in SW5E which I currently have all defined as NPCs). To get the attack/damage dice onto those tiny slivers of component entries in the CT is no easy task and easily missed. Also, during testing I got a critical hit with an eviscerate critical result then shock damage came up also - and 0'ed the ships damage. Not the components - the entire ship was zeroed on HP. So it looks like this is not ready for my use yet as it requires to much micromanaging of it - but it would be cool to be able to have components on a ship targetable. Its just very clunky and easy to mess up right now.

Attached Images Attached Images

Another question on vehicles - can common components be defined like items? Or are they all hardcoded only on the Vehicle they were created for? I don't find them listed in items and I'm wondering if I'm just missing something or they are really only defined in the local vehicle definition.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'common components defined like items'. Vehicle components are defined as vehicle components and you can drag and drop those into a vehicle to add components to the vehicle. So, for example I've added a piercing ram to this bombard.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'common components defined like items'. Vehicle components are defined as vehicle components and you can drag and drop those into a vehicle to add components to the vehicle. So, for example I've added a piercing ram to this bombard.
    That's my confusion - I created the cannon component in the only place I could find - on the vehicle. But when I look in the items - there is nothing.

Create a new item and give it a type of 'Vehicle Component'. Items created on a vehicle are unique to that vehicle (in the same way that creating an item on a PC) and don't appear in the list of items. See video thirty eight here for more information on vehicles https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-do-I-in-Unity
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Thread Information