DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Cannot Connect via Lan Macbook M2

Hi All

First I ought to say I have no idea what I'm doing - so please bear with me

I can run a game on my PC or Mac and then run a second window as the player - this connects via LAN without any trouble - which i guess is to be expected as all on the same machine?

Im now trying to run FGU on my PC and connect in via the LAN on my Macbook - this is where i run into trouble

I either just hang trying to connect via the LAN and local host or i get a message saying license conflict - I understand why i get this but i don't wish to delete my license number from my mac - so I'm guessing i need to join via the LAN - this is where it stops. I suspect its something to do with the Mac security but i've no idea where to look - i've also purchased Pure VPN and a dedicated IP address with Port Forwarding but as Im not truly understanding how this might help i'm no further forward in solving the issue - any help would be amazing!!

Thank you all

Welcome to the forums.

You cannot run two instances of the same license on two different computers at the same time. If you want to connect your PC to a game running on your mac (or vice versa) you'll need to remove the license key from the client and run as a demo player.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Many thanks Zacchaeus - i thought it was possible via a LAN connection but clearly not - much appreciated thank you

It *is* possible, I think you've misunderstood what Zaccehus said.

The person running the game (and only the person running the game) needs to have a licenced copy of Fantasy Grounds Ultimate running on their machine. Everyone else can and usually does have a free demo account.

You can only run your licenced copy on one machine at a time. So you can run it on your PC *or* on your Mac, but not both at the same time. Whichever one is running the licenced copy is the GM's machine for the game.

So in order to connect to the PC with the Mac as a player, in this specific instance you need to be running a free demo version of Fantasy Grounds, not the full licenced version - because your full licenced version is already up and running and hosting the game on the other machine. That's what FG is telling you when you try to run the licenced copy on a second machine, in this case your Mac.

The solution is really simple - just run Fantasy Grounds as a demo copy on the Mac.

Fire up Fantasy Grounds on the Mac. Go to settings.

In "Basic", remove the licence key that you find there.

Use "Create Account" to make yourself a second, demo account for connecting to your main machine with.

Now you have your PC running your proper licenced version of Fantasy Grounds, and your Mac running the demo version - and now it should be able to connect like any other player.

Note that you absolutely can connect as a player to another person's game with your licenced FG account. They'll be running FG with one licenced copy of FG, and you can connect just fine. It's just that you can't have two machines running at the same time with the SAME licence, so for this specific situation you need a second free FG account to connect to your own game (and only your own game).

Cheers, Hywel Phillips
    Last edited by HywelPhillips; March 26th, 2023 at 19:09.

Thank you - and all works as you have both said - problem very resolved - thank you really apprecaite the help

Thread Information