5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

FGU - Player cant choose their character, Modules not loading

so one of my players have this issue where he cant choose his character in character select screen, or load any of the modules.

we have tried to find a solution so we both went through the forums looking at similar problems. he even went so far as to turn off both the firewall on his pc and his router, making no difference, he uses no vpn, i use no vpn.
    fantasy grounds is allowed through my firewall and i have tried to turn off my own firewall.

i have reasons to belive its not an issue on my end as the GM due to this player having the exact same issue in another campaign we are both in where another friend is the GM.

he has tried nuking his cache. reinstalling FGU. turning off firewall. we are not sure what else there is to do at this point. due to the issue being in 2 campaigns he is in and not only mine.

he has also gotten atleast 2 error messages, but they dont show up all the time. these are
    (Unexpected command (CHINR) received on client while downloading and Unexpected command (IMRVR) received on client while downloading)

we also both checked out the things from this link: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting

now for the final wrench thrown into the gears. he went onto his laptop to try and join instead of using his desktop. and that worked. just fine. the issue still stands that it would be nice for him to be able to play on his actual computer.
    any idea what the issue could be in this case?

Blog Entries
    It's either security software on his PC or folder permissions. It probably won't help, but it's a good place to start by doing a compile logs for both the GM and the player shortly after trying this again and uploading both sets of logs here.

It his PC managed by anyone but himself? i.e. school or work? What O/S is the PC? Has he removed and re-added exceptions to his security software? Some security software will show the exception, but since the executable has changed, the new one gets blocked/quarantined even though in the list it appears that is it excluded/allowed.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

His PC is only managed by himself. and he uses Windows 11. both on his desktop (where the problem is) and his Laptop (Where the problem seems to not exist). he uses Windows Defender. he re-installed the entire game so he went into defender and redid the exceptions for Fantasy Grounds. which log is it you would need to see specificly? Console log?
    "Do not fall into the arcane vortex, you will simply cease to exist"

I am the player who has the issue in Huntednord's campaign.

Both PC and Notebook are using WIndows 11 as OS, and both have only the onboard security measures installed (so no Norton, Kaspersky etc).
    Both are also up to date with windows updates.

What I have tried on the machine that has the issue:
    - simple reinstall of FGU
    - manually deleting the cache folder of the campaigns
    - deinstalling FGU and manually deleting all registry-entries and folders that have Smiteworks or fantasy grounds in its name
    - manually installing vcredist from this forum
    - copying complete FantasyGrounds folder from notebook to PC

What happens now is that I can connect to the campaign and the normal table loads, but apparently it doesnt load completely as the dice tower in the left lower corner is missing, the character selection is empty and the module section is empty. Also if i type something in chat or roll a dice the others can see it, but i cannot.

Since it is working on my notebook i can rule out that the router or internet connection is the issue (both are in the same network). So my guess is that it has to be machine specific. I would like to avoid to re-install windows completely so any attempt of helping is highly appreciated.

Sounds like a network issue - assuming that the OS setup on both computers is exactly the same. Some troubleshooting steps here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

It could still be network if one is connected via Wi-Fi and the other isn't. But if the network is ruled out then that leaves something on the computer. Did you install to the default locations? Do you have all the correct read/write permissions to the disc area that you installed to (especially the FG data location). Some more troubleshooting articles here.

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ssions+Windows
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

First to the topic of network:
    - PC that has the issue is conencted via cable (which is a new one, bought last year in June)
    - Laptop is connected via wireless

OS and security software are set up the same way on both machines.

FGU is installed in the default locations on both machines. I doubt that it is a permissions issue since it worked on 27.02.2023 without a hitch and then in the next session on 13.03. it only worked wonkily, as i was able to connect to the other campaign with some issues (like i had to roll a dice to get updates on what has happened in combat or move my token on the battlemap).

I also verified the folder settings, and they are as mentioned in your link.
    I did put in exclusions for the three files in WIndows Defender.

Sadly nothing works :-(

So it worked on your computer before and now it doesn't?

How much is the DM sharing? And how much memory is FGU using when you are connected? How much disc space do you have on the same drive as FG's data folder? Does it work on your computer if you connect via a phone hotspot or similar?

1) Double check that the network connection is set to Private and not Public.
    2) Remove any exceptions in Windows Defender and re-add them.
    3) If your PC has a Wifi adapter, try connecting with Wifi.
    - Also, if it has a Wifi adapter, try using a Mobile hotspot on your phone to connect - just for testing.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@Zacchaeus: He is sharing 6 modules.
    My main disc where FGU is installed still has 500GB of free space.
    I cannot connect via hotspot or anything cause this PC does not have any WIFI capabilities. It is a normal desktop PC.

I also cannot tell you right now how much memory it was using on my main PC, I can only tell you that I have sufficient RAM with 32GB

@Trenloe: Network connection is set to private
    I have set the windows defender exceptions manually and automatically when the prompt popped up.

And btw: Thank you again for trying to help!

Thread Information