Starfinder Playlist

5e Extension for Bloodied status? (Lost half of HP)

TL;DR: I'm looking for a very simple extension that I can use for D&D 5e - when an NPC has lost half its HP, a Bloodied icon appears on its token. Not a "blood smear" or splatter, just some kind of icon, like a blood drop or whatnot.

"Bloodied" is a concept from D&D 4e. It means the character is question has lost half their HP. I find it useful in 5e because I follow the HP-are-not-Meat-Points school of D&D philosophy. When a character first loses HP from their max HP state, they are not "wounded" in my game. That's not actually how HP works by design. Instead they are just less likely to achieve survival and victory: they are a bit tired, or they tried some amazing attack that didn't work and they won't get to try it again. But eventually even with this by-design line of thinking, it makes sense for blood to have been drawn.

A lot of the popular extensions for combat that I have seen as a new FG user focus on giving *more* information to players about NPC health. I disagree with that idea - my game world isn't a video game, it's a secondary world where you cannot easily tell if your foe is less able to win now than they were 6 seconds ago. And the default options call for a small loss of HP to be called "wounded". That doesn't work for me.

I just want a binary-status for npc health. Not Bloodied, and Bloodied. That's it. After all, D&D characters are just as effective with 1 HP as they are with max HP, again reinforcing that HP are not Meat Points.

There's even a condition to be used with IF and IFT statements: "Bloodied: If the conditional effect target has wounds greater than or equal to half its hit points, then this operator returns true." So support for this kind of thing is built in. I just want an icon.

I will accept that this is too simple an extension to look for, if anyone feels that way. In that case I should look into basic extension building and try to make it myself, I guess.

Welcome to the forums.

There's this extension which works on Core based rulesets https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/288/view It won't do exactly what you want. There's also this one https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ator-for-Death. I believe though that such extensions will interfere with the built in death markers - but I'm not sure on that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoEnso View Post
    TL;DR: I'm looking for a very simple extension that I can use for D&D 5e - when an NPC has lost half its HP, a Bloodied icon appears on its token. Not a "blood smear" or splatter, just some kind of icon, like a blood drop or whatnot.

"Bloodied" is a concept from D&D 4e. It means the character is question has lost half their HP. I find it useful in 5e because I follow the HP-are-not-Meat-Points school of D&D philosophy. When a character first loses HP from their max HP state, they are not "wounded" in my game. That's not actually how HP works by design. Instead they are just less likely to achieve survival and victory: they are a bit tired, or they tried some amazing attack that didn't work and they won't get to try it again. But eventually even with this by-design line of thinking, it makes sense for blood to have been drawn.

A lot of the popular extensions for combat that I have seen as a new FG user focus on giving *more* information to players about NPC health. I disagree with that idea - my game world isn't a video game, it's a secondary world where you cannot easily tell if your foe is less able to win now than they were 6 seconds ago. And the default options call for a small loss of HP to be called "wounded". That doesn't work for me.

I just want a binary-status for npc health. Not Bloodied, and Bloodied. That's it. After all, D&D characters are just as effective with 1 HP as they are with max HP, again reinforcing that HP are not Meat Points.

There's even a condition to be used with IF and IFT statements: "Bloodied: If the conditional effect target has wounds greater than or equal to half its hit points, then this operator returns true." So support for this kind of thing is built in. I just want an icon.

I will accept that this is too simple an extension to look for, if anyone feels that way. In that case I should look into basic extension building and try to make it myself, I guess.
    My Indicators extension does exactly that, plus a bunch of other things. Each indicator type can be turned on/off independently so you can hide health indicators while showing the bloodied indicator.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/353...iate_id=712946

example of bloodied indicator and settings

Last edited by mattekure; March 14th, 2023 at 20:26.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Thread Information