FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Animated Maps

Quote Originally Posted by YAKO SOMEDAKY View Post
    I don't know if this has already been said, but animated maps created or imported from other "platforms" would be interesting, but would soon stop being used, I saw this happen in other tables that I participated in that had support for animated maps and animated tokens, but they were difficult to find and then the people gave up I think it's more interesting improvements in sound, light and vision... allowing to control its direction like a flashlight to put muffled music behind a wall, allowing the token to see only in the direction that look and not 360º, I would invest in improvements for high ground...but of course this is just opinion.
    Hard to find? Like the OP stated, you can make your own with Dungeon Alchemist. I already make all my battle maps in DA, I just export the still shot of them because there's no .webm support yet in FGU. And 3rd party maps are becoming a lot easier to find now that a lot of VTTs support them.

I said that about animated maps and animated tokens, referring to Foundry because it supports this since the beta version, at the time there was no Dungeon Alchemist and I don't know of any tool that creates animated tokens (if you know, could you indicate?). I know that Dungeons Alchemist allows you to create maps that can be imported into Fantasy Grounds with lights and LoS, but now be honest do you prefer that feature or improvements in LoS on the platform, improvements in sound, being able to do everything locally and create a greater immersion, improvements in vision, where even if it's daytime and you're a human, you won't see as well when looking at the distant horizon, improvements where an effect is above the token causing the real difficulty of fighting in a place full of smoke (this is just an example ), but most importantly, do you prefer animated maps or stop dropping out of games even if you have a machine and a good connection, do you prefer animated maps or stop being frozen until everyone joins the game table... I prefer what I mentioned, especially stability...yes I want animation...but FGU isn't ready for that yet and we all know that, but I think one day it will be...with FG I learned to be patient because some things take time, but they happen at the but I hope I have not been rude to anyone because this community and forum are amazing!

I don't know if this has already been said, but animated maps created or imported from other "platforms" would be interesting, but would soon stop being used, I saw this happen in other tables that I participated in that had support for animated maps and animated tokens, but they were difficult to find and then the people gave up I think it's more interesting improvements in sound, light and vision... allowing to control its direction like a flashlight to put muffled music behind a wall, allowing the token to see only in the direction that look and not 360º, I would invest in improvements for high ground...but of course this is just opinion.
    It's definitely not my experience: I've been using animated maps for years, since it was first possible in both Roll20 and Foundry, and I spend a fair amount of time applying animation layers on Fantasy Grounds for my games. Some of the players in my groups run games themselves, and when they use a VTT that supports it they definitely use animated maps. I concede that I don't use animated maps 100% of the time in an adventure: not every exploration or battle needs the extra atmosphere, so it's closer to 30% of the maps I use, also in most cases I need to pay an artist to get one done (because free ones are indeed difficult to find as you said); but (within my circle of TTRPG acquaintances) they've never stopped being used.

I said that about animated maps and animated tokens, referring to Foundry because it supports this since the beta version, at the time there was no Dungeon Alchemist and I don't know of any tool that creates animated tokens (if you know, could you indicate?). I know that Dungeons Alchemist allows you to create maps that can be imported into Fantasy Grounds with lights and LoS, but now be honest do you prefer that feature or improvements in LoS on the platform, improvements in sound, being able to do everything locally and create a greater immersion, improvements in vision, where even if it's daytime and you're a human, you won't see as well when looking at the distant horizon, improvements where an effect is above the token causing the real difficulty of fighting in a place full of smoke (this is just an example ), but most importantly, do you prefer animated maps or stop dropping out of games even if you have a machine and a good connection, do you prefer animated maps or stop being frozen until everyone joins the game table... I prefer what I mentioned, especially stability...yes I want animation...but FGU isn't ready for that yet and we all know that, but I think one day it will be...with FG I learned to be patient because some things take time, but they happen at the but I hope I have not been rude to anyone because this community and forum are amazing!
    If I have to be honest, I'd still prefer to see animated maps in FGU before everything you wrote, because the LOS as it's implemented in FGU right now is good enough for 99% of my games; I prefer animated maps over "improvements in sounds" because FGU does not support sounds at all at the moment and that would require a whole platform of support to be created first, while I can run my games satisfactorily using Syrinscape.
    As for the stability: you're talking like it's an either/or situation, like we can't get new features while they improve the existing ones or fix bugs - that's not at all how software development works. If that was the case then SmiteWorks wouldn't have rolled out any LOS feature at all because they would have still been working on the stability (the issues you list exist since before the LOS feature was first introduced), and they wouldn't be working RIGHT NOW on the First Person Perspective/Theater Of The Mind feature that they showcased: the fact that they ARE working on new features means that they have capacity to allocate some working resources to stability improvements and notices, and some resources to new features. And that's standard, in software development.

In my mind it's more of a cost benefit ratio,

Lo Zeno It was perfect your explanation! I'm happy to have answered everything I mentioned, I don't know how the bottom alchemist dungeons works, because when I saw the animated maps through the Foundry they were amazing, they were a scenario with a waterfall and even had the sound of falling water, it was Amazing and this map with all the master's care to create the occlusors especially the unidirectional ones who gave us the advantage of being on high terrain (something they wanted to learn to do in the FGU), the sound of the muffled songs behind the passage of the fall of the Water, the humans of the group terrified for seeing nothing right and with immense fear of creating any source of light gave a mood of fear and terror that the master wanted ... I was amazing!It is indeed the animated map will be amazing!
    He is about to vote for Idea informer, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Agreed. And telling someone that you can't take their view seriously because they do not want something is also not valid.
    That was not said and is a bad take on the entire conversation.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Pretty much those exact words were used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    You and I don't communicate well. Don't know the reason, but this topic is not important enough to me to spend what energy I have tonight to work on it. Maybe another day.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Pretty much those exact words were used.
    I can assure you I never did. The quote was you can't take anyone seriously telling you you dont need something because they don't think you need it. Anyone asking for animated feature set asked for it, people told them they didnt need it. If there is some confusion on that then hopefully that cleared it up.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information