STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Alternating Initiative

just created an extenstion and put it up on FG Forge.

This extension will put 2 icons at the bottom of the GMs combat tracker. After rolling the initiative for everybody, the Alternating Initiative button can be pressed to change the order of the combatants to follow The Simple Initiative System described here:
    https://youtu.be/SXleyDvtqls - Taking20 Youtube video describing the Alternating Initiative idea

The combatant with the highest initiative will go first, then the combatant with the highest initiative of the opposite faction will go, then the next highest of the first faction, etc. alternating between factions.
    Combatants of the same faction that roll the same initiative will be lumped together.
    Also, if needed (say if a new combatant will be entering the mix), the GM can hit the other button and the initiatives will be reset to the original rolls.

Original_Init.png

AlternatingInit.png

you can grab it at https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1088/view

I just purchased this to give it a shot, but it doesn't show up in my extension options prior to loading a campagin. The .ext is in my folder though.

Problem Loading

Quote Originally Posted by Fistan77 View Post
    I just purchased this to give it a shot, but it doesn't show up in my extension options prior to loading a campagin. The .ext is in my folder though.
    I am sorry, I have re-compressed the extension and and tested on my end.

Also. Please refund yourself as I will be changing the price. There was a typo. I meant to list this for 100 coins, not 1000.
    Sorry about that. ( but thanks for trying at the wrong price lol )
    Last edited by lprchaun; March 7th, 2023 at 13:41.

It is working great now, thank you. I used it this morning in a game. If I can make a recommendation: Would there be any way to move button placement to the left of the faction icons (or at the top of the CT frame). The clear dead extension uses the exact button placement so I have to turn it off to use alternating initiative and it is one of my most used extensions so I imagine it would be for other folks also.

Thanks for the great extension!

Quote Originally Posted by Fistan77 View Post
    It is working great now, thank you. I used it this morning in a game. If I can make a recommendation: Would there be any way to move button placement to the left of the faction icons (or at the top of the CT frame). The clear dead extension uses the exact button placement so I have to turn it off to use alternating initiative and it is one of my most used extensions so I imagine it would be for other folks also.

Thanks for the great extension!

No problem! I will move the icons this afternoon.

Done
    Last edited by lprchaun; March 10th, 2023 at 00:19. Reason: updated extension

noticed in a session last night that if you know how the initiative numbers are supposed to line up, the PCs could figure out if there were hidden foes in the combat tracker. I am updating the extension so that if you have hidden foes, they will keep their original initiative roll and everybody else will be set to the alternating initiative order with the correct initiative numbers. Then when the hidden character iin the combat tracker needs to come out, you can hit the reset initiative button, unhide the character, then hit the alternating initiative button and everything is put in its correct place again.

Update -
    This might not be the best way if yhe GM needs to know where the hidden NPC is in the order. Re-working

Update 2 --

now the hidden characters will be where they are supposed to be in the GMs tracker. Players will see what they are supposed to see in alternating order as before. The GM can just unhide the NPC as needed and it will be where it is supposed to be for everybody.
    Last edited by lprchaun; March 10th, 2023 at 20:19.

Outstanding extension! Works like a charm!

I am contiinuing to fix small things I find. For example, there was an issue that would pop up sometimes that made the GM need to hit the reset button before the Alternating Initiative button would work. That has been resolved.

Please leave comments and I will fix things that pop up.

After enabling the extension it is not showing up in the CT.
    I have enabled the extension by itself, but it still doesn't show the buttons on the CT for me.
    I am using FGU Version 4.5.0.

Updating to FGU to see what is up.

Haven't had any problems for a while. Let me look into it. Do you have any other extensions that put buttons at the bottom of the CT?

Also which rule set are you using? As it is set up to work in core, pathfinder2, 4E and 5E
    Last edited by lprchaun; March 9th, 2024 at 01:38.

Thread Information