DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Unforseen Consequences of Allowing D&D 5e DLCs?

I 'm wanting to run the Midgard World campaigns for Wrath of the River King, Courts of the Shadow Fey and Streets of Zobeck with the PF1e ruleset. The problem is, that even though some of those were originally created for 3.5e/PF1e, the Publisher Kobold Press has only ever adapted them for the D&D 5e ruleset for FGU.

So I took the step of adding 5e as one of the import in the base.xml file for my PFRPG.PAK file. That worked with me now being able to activate my KP 5e modules in a PF1e campaign. One of the side effects though, is that if I have a KP 5e module activated when the campaign loads, I'm no longer able to copy a PF1e NPC and no surprise I get script error if I accidentally select a KP 5e NCP group. If I load the module after the campaign starts, I'm able to copy PF1e NPCs. None of that's a big problem, because my goal with enabling 5e module support is to be able to use the image maps as opposed to having to screen cap & import them from my PDFs. It's also really nice not to have to cut & paste in the Story content. I haven't even tried the encounters yet, but I expect I'll likely get errors with them. Having homebrewed many encounters for different rulesets, I don't have a problem with having to recreate those.

I'm wondering if anyone here who's ever enabled other ruleset content like D&D 5e or is familiar with the technical implications, could comment on whether or not there's other errors that might occur as a result of doing so?
    I'm not too worried about the odd script error, but I wouldn't want a corrupted db file or anything equally as bad - even though I backup my campaigns fequently.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 5th, 2023 at 20:47.

have you looked into using this https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/266/view to let you use the modules without altering the .pak files

This extension allows you to open modules written for one ruleset in a campaign not of that ruleset https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...dule-Extension
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Highly recommend Universal Module Extension for this. I use it a lot with PF1e to modules from various D&D editions.

Many thanks for all the replies. I have such an extension, but I thought it only worked for the Savage Worlds ruleset - perhaps it does and the extension you're providing a link for is different.

I have a backup of my PFRPG.PAK file, so it'll be easy for me to give that extension a try.

[Edit] I gave the Universal extension a try and it works great with every module I own being available. However, when the Wrath of the River King module is activated, I get the same problem as before; can't correctly copy a PF1e NPC. It actually does copy them and when I deactivate the WotRK module and reload the campaign, the copied NPC is there; NPC copy just doesn't display with it activated. I should probably mention that i don't own the official PF1e Core Rules and are just using the freebie PF1e ruleset that comes with FGU - don't know if that make a difference or not?

I guess I'll just have to do my NPC copying and building while the module isn't loaded, and then load it when I want to create LOS and encounters on WotRK map images.
    Last edited by kronovan; March 6th, 2023 at 01:43.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies. I have such an extension, but I thought it only worked for the Savage Worlds ruleset - perhaps it does and the extension you're providing a link for is different.

I have a backup of my PFRPG.PAK file, so it'll be easy for me to give that extension a try.

[Edit] I gave the Universal extension a try and it works great with every module I own being available. However, when the Wrath of the River King module is activated, I get the same problem as before; can't correctly copy a PF1e NPC. It actually does copy them and when I deactivate the WotRK module and reload the campaign, the copied NPC is there; NPC copy just doesn't display with it activated. I should probably mention that i don't own the official PF1e Core Rules and are just using the freebie PF1e ruleset that comes with FGU - don't know if that make a difference or not?

I guess I'll just have to do my NPC copying and building while the module isn't loaded, and then load it when I want to create LOS and encounters on WotRK map images.
    Yeah, this is how I also have to do it Sadly, one of the errors coming with loading modules of other rulesets is that creating NPCs is erroneous, I also always have to deactivate the extension once I want to create an NPC

(and if I ever need to create NPCs on the run in a running setting, I usually added some blank NPCs somewhen before the session so that I can then edit those on the run, or copies of certain creatures etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    (and if I ever need to create NPCs on the run in a running setting, I usually added some blank NPCs somewhen before the session so that I can then edit those on the run, or copies of certain creatures etc.)
    That's a good idea and something I hadn't considered, but something I'll definitely do before I host a campaign.

I share the same feeling with me trying to run Rise of the Runelords for PF2e: I would love to be able to only load story entries, but all the incompatible PF1 monsters get loaded with the rest of the module, often triggering errors (the main problem is how it pollutes the lists of creatures/items and spells). I tried to write an extension to selectively load only story items, with no success.
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

Quote Originally Posted by dsaraujo View Post
    I share the same feeling with me trying to run Rise of the Runelords for PF2e: I would love to be able to only load story entries, but all the incompatible PF1 monsters get loaded with the rest of the module, often triggering errors (the main problem is how it pollutes the lists of creatures/items and spells). I tried to write an extension to selectively load only story items, with no success.
    Yeah, it would be nice if modules are created in two parts: The story and reference manual (so the part which can be loaded in all rulesets without problem since just text) and separately from that the ruleset-specific entries like NPCs, items, spells and so on Then one could just load the former without running into errors

I've tested and succeeded with copying map images and story entries for a loaded 5e module and then moving them to a new group. The map images still work perfectly, but of course any encounter, story and map links on them refer back to the loaded modules'. Those aren't too difficult to remove and recreate though. From time to time I create custom groups for different features in a ruleset and then do an export to create a custom module. So doing such things in PF1e for a loaded 5e module doesn't feel like too much of an effort.
    But I agree it would be ideal if only certain features within a module could be loaded.

Thread Information