FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Want to set Desktop Background to an image.

I am running Savage Worlds, East Texas University and have always used a blackboard (chalkboard) for the background, by having edited the extension zipfile XMLs and adding my image to appropriate folder.

This stopped working after the update around ... Thanksgiving (?) and I've struggled mightily to get it back.

I have tried just about everything ... taking the SWU light extension and inserting my image was my last unsuccessful stab. It is profoundly frustrating, any tips or tricks ? Thanks !

I cannot even get my modified .ext to show up in the start-up FGU dialog (where you load game, join game etc).

Note, I'm was not using a decal, I was setting the desktop background.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are talking about a decal and not a desktop background. Decals have been simplified some time ago, you no longer need an extension to set them. See; Adding Backgrounds Decals - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I don't think I was using a decal, my image covered the entirety of the desktop. Here's the graphics frame xml I was using, in case it helps. Maybe with the last update the image is too large, I'm not sure.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <!-- Copyright SmiteWorks USA, LLC., 2014 -->
    <root>
    <framedef name="desktop">
    <bitmap file="graphics/frames/blackboard.png"/>
    <middle rect="0,0,3392,2232"/>
    </framedef>
    </root>

Blog Entries
    Probably not too large. But be aware, the background should be done using "9 slices" so that it can scale to different resolution monitors. But, more than that I can't say. Will have to let someone more knowledgeable jump in.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

That did the trick ... I was compressing the base-level directory when I should have been going into that directory and electing to compress its contents ! I guess I needed to be struck with the "clue bat" three times for it to sink in.

Thanks, friends !

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about a decal and not a desktop background. Decals have been simplified some time ago, you no longer need an extension to set them. See; Adding Backgrounds Decals - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)
    I seem to be doing something wrong. I've used Decals in the past in extensions but when I tried that confluence page there, I got nothing to show up in the Decal-picker. Only the cool default SW dragon and a bunch of NecroticGnome OSE decals:

Attachment 57485

I first put it in images/decal created in Ruleset Wizard and generated to ruleset/add.pak. Then I tried unpacking it and copying images/decals (and images/Decals) after nothing shows, tried putting where used to be (extra copies) in graphics/decals and even graphics/images/decals. Then I took an S&W decal I had no problem using in the past (in case the issue was with my attempt to transparant PNGify a logo from a PDF) in the images/Decals directory (shown in image above) and nothing.

The instructions seem simple so I fear I will facepalm after the response

-----------------
    AHA! Partial facepalm avoidance!

I tried rereading it for the 5th time. And said... maybe it's not the images directory inside a ruleset but the TOPLEVEL images dir alongside ruleset and modules, etc.
    That worked:

brw.jpg

But - I want to add a decal to the ruleset.pak or ... is the new thing described only for ad-hoc additions? If we want to add them to rulesets we still need to do extensions or something? Reading the confluences leads me to believe the whole point was to avoid that.

So... I expect I still have a facepalm (or slap) incoming...

PS - Damned, if you see this - what's the best from ground up of your Ruleset Wizard youtube series to watch? I am on video 7 of the Dungeon World one.

Modules store images in the images directory. Add decals to images\decals in a module, following the naming format detailed in the Wiki page.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information