DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Do you use any tools or programs in Steam alongside Fantasy Grounds Unity?

Hello all,

I'm looking into possible cross-marketing efforts with other Steam developers who may have applications or programs that are complementary to Fantasy Grounds Unity. One that easily comes to mind for me is Dungeon Alchemist. Are there any others that you find yourself using?

Steam supports the option to set up cross-company bundles where you can get a discount if you complete the set. Perhaps we can negotiate a way to provide a 20% discount for people to pick up some of these if they already have FGU -- and vice versa.

Dungeon Painter Pro is the only Steam bought product I’ve ever used with FG. Lots of items that aren’t available in FG art packs, like cars. Exporter has a Fantasy Grounds setting too.

Should say for anyone looking at it on Steam or those who have it, make sure you switch to the products beta channel. DPS2 is a much more fully featured package than the the DPS live version and has been in beta since 2020.
    Last edited by sedgetone; August 24th, 2023 at 09:56.

I use RPGSounds, but I would be hard pressed to say the software will safely be around for a while. Not really being actively developed, only maintained as is (which is really unfortunate).
    It is also free, but has multiple sound packs for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by sedgetone View Post
    Dungeon Painter Pro is the only Steam bought product I’ve ever used with FG. Lots of items that aren’t available in FG art packs, like cars. Exporter has a Fantasy Grounds setting too.

Should say for anyone looking at it on Steam or those who have it, make sure you switch to the products beta channel. DPS2 is a much more fully featured package than the the DPS live version and has been in beta since 2020.
    I saw it sells for £11 (in UK) and I was considering buying it, but I saw many discussions about crashes, instability and maps getting deleted after a crash; what is your experience of these issues? Are the reports accurate or exaggerated?
    Also, do you know if there's any capability to make animations/export to webm?

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    I saw it sells for £11 (in UK) and I was considering buying it, but I saw many discussions about crashes, instability and maps getting deleted after a crash; what is your experience of these issues? Are the reports accurate or exaggerated?

I used Dungeon Painter Studio (assuming this is what OP means, unless Pro is something else) - the developer released a "2.0" which broke a lot of things, and most of the crowd that was making quality content for it went to Dungeondraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    No webm support but in general I can say I've not had many crashes with the beta in all this time. Install the original build, download all the library content. Then copy it all out somewhere else. I uninstalled the old build and then did a clean install of the beta.

Dungeondraft though is a better tool but not on Steam afaik.

Dungeondraft isn't on Steam or I would mention it to Doug in a heartbeat. I really like it as a fast, easy, dungeon map tool. I don't like the generated LOS for caves - too many points - but that is because it's using all the cave wall nodes. The cave is no worse than Dungeon Alchemist.

I have used Illwinter's Floorplan Generator on Steam in the past, but it hasn't been updated since November 2022. It's very bare-bones compared with Dungeon Alchemist. I still use it to slap together very quick maps, but there's no LOS export etc.

DA is the big one for sure. It's very welcome that their next update will allow webm export in the right codec for FGU.

Cheers, Hywel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    I don't like the generated LOS for caves - too many points - but that is because it's using all the cave wall nodes.
    While it isn't a perfect solution, you can often edit the LOS after the fact, double-click the cave wall in LOS selection mode and then right-click to simplify the line. You can do this a few times and undo it with CTRL+Z until you get it just right.

Thanks, I have tried that - and it does help.

My problem is I simplify enough so the "simple" areas of the walls just match but I still have a ton of points on the complicated parts so I end up manually deleting more points (often a lot of points) from the more complicated sections. The simplify is a great help but I still loathe making caves and caverns. I think in a lot of cases it's quicker just doing the LOS manually.

It's the general problem with circles. How many points do you really want to use to represent one? And with LOS less is more.

Thread Information