DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

[Extension] Setting Maker Tweaks

While making a few campaign setting, I learned that there are various things missing. Small things, but they require editing db.xml by hand, digging through xml to find things, and multiple layers to click through in the UI.

If you're new to creating settings, you don't know about these things until you hit problems.

I decided to create this extension to save time for those who write campaign settings.

It's on the Forge here.

I'm still working on this and expanding it. I welcome ideas and feedback.

Here's what's in the first release.

Arcane Backgrounds and the AB Edges that unlock them must be linked. That link doesn't show up anywhere in the UI and must be hand written in db.xml. If you don't know about that, it won't set up the AB on the character sheet when you drop the AB on the Main tab.

I added links between an AB and an AB Edge. I also thought the Arcane Skill should be a link, so I added that too. Just drag and drop, and it will link them and write the "secret" nodes in db.xml for you.

ab edge.jpg

arcane background.jpg

Speaking of secret nodes, there's
    Code:
    <catname type="string"></catname>
    on numerous records. That field is used for listing, sorting, and grouping weapons, gear, vehicles, etc. It doesn't display in the UI anywhere. With this extension, it does.

armor.jpg

item.jpg

modification.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Serfass; February 14th, 2023 at 04:51.

I hit my image limit. Here's more category fields:
    vehicle.jpg
    weapon.jpg

You may notice in the weapon image, there's another "hidden" field in db.xml.
    Code:
    <shortdescription type="string"></shortdescription>
    It shows up in a couple of places, but you couldn't add or edit it to your custom records. Here are the other records that have that field.
    edge.jpg
    power.jpg
    skill.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Serfass; February 14th, 2023 at 04:51.

Here's what I'm working on for the next version, 1.01.

Modifications are used in various settings. The Fantasy Companion contains lots of them to create magic items. I use lots of custom mods in my sci-fi setting; I'm sure I'm not the only one. However, the Mods button is disabled by default and is unlocked only if you own the Sci-Fi Companion. The Powers and Fantasy Companions don't unlock it, in spite of the mods in them, and the companions don't list them.

This extension unlocks the button and the Modifications list. Note that it won't display any Sci-Fi Companion modifications unless you own that product. It will, however, display those from the SWADE core rules.
    Your custom modifications will also export when you build your custom module.
    modification button.jpg
    modification list.jpg

I also added a new button to the Modifications list. It will display all modifications grouped by category.
    There's also a new filter, by category.

Here's the modifications by category view:
    mods by category.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Serfass; February 16th, 2023 at 03:51.

More changes in the upcoming version 1.01.
    I added category filters to the Items and Vehicles lists. I also added By Cat buttons.
    item list.jpg
    vehicle list.jpg

Here are the category group views.
    items by category.jpg
    vehicles by category.jpg

Mike!!! Thanks so much, the AB thing obviously but I was thinking about the <catname> stuff only yesterday and what a PITA it is to edit.

Brilliant!

P.S. The link on the Forge to the forum thread is broken.

You're welcome, and thanks. I updated the link; it's awaiting review.
    I'll upload version 1.01 this weekend.

Great Extension!

Very useful for Arcane Backgrounds. I have yet to test everything else, however the Short Description for Skills and Edges is also very useful.
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

I added options so you can customize as you like. This will be in the next version (1.01).
    options.jpg

Does the Short Description also work on Tables and Cat lists? I am sure at some point I saw extra text on a table or catname list text under the table.

EDIT: or Parcels for that matter?
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; February 18th, 2023 at 08:07.

Thread Information