FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Smaller Than 5' Light Radius?

I am currently running Kingmaker. I've set things up on the hex map so that there is a token the players have shared vision with so that they can see the hexes around them as they explore. I would like to set it up so that they can only see the hex they are in and about half the adjacent hexes. However, the smallest light source I can give the token, 5', seems to illuminate all of the surrounding hexes and about half of the next hex over.

Is there a way to give a token a smaller vision radius than that?

Thank you, after some fiddling that turned out to be perfect.

How are you planning on running the mapping? When I played this for PF1e, the GM slowly revealed the map as we explored - using the mask tool. However, now that I've read the material (as I'm now GMing) it appears that it's assumed there are high level maps showing the geographical features - forest, marsh, rivers, lakes, etc. and the PCs get to investigate each hex in detail to find more information. It's not like these are unexplored area, so high level maps should be available to the PCs. Just wondering how you're planning to run it as I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to approach it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

While it makes some sense that geographical maps would be available, I feel like its more exciting for the Stolen Lands to be "unknown territory" that the players slowly reveal over the course of their adventure. That said, there is a map of the whole Stolen Lands included in the player's guide, which I did make available to my players. So far, though, they haven't referenced it, so either they've forgotten it exists or they don't want to use it, I'm not sure which.

For actually running game though, I'm letting them slowly reveal the map as they explore via the fog of war system. Doing it that way also helps them keep track of where they have been.

Yeah, I originally thought the same and was going to run it as it was when I played with PF1e. My thinking was challenged when I saw that the Kingdom Management Screen's player facing side have the whole map of the Stolen Lands on it and is designed to track travel/discoveries on it with dry wipe/wet erase markers.

I'm still torn, as I enjoyed the mystery of exploring hex-by-hex when I played, but also realize it's not a completely unexplored land. Maybe I'll keep it hex-by-hex reveal unless they go out of their way to get maps of regions; I also might reveal some parts of major geographical features so they get a little bit of orientation.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    How are you planning on running the mapping? When I played this for PF1e, the GM slowly revealed the map as we explored - using the mask tool. However, now that I've read the material (as I'm now GMing) it appears that it's assumed there are high level maps showing the geographical features - forest, marsh, rivers, lakes, etc. and the PCs get to investigate each hex in detail to find more information. It's not like these are unexplored area, so high level maps should be available to the PCs. Just wondering how you're planning to run it as I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to approach it.
    This is how I'm planning to do it, performance permitting.
    them hexes tho.jpg

ETA: I don't know why it decided to double-post the attachment. Sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Muagen View Post
    This is how I'm planning to do it, performance permitting.
    them hexes tho.jpg

ETA: I don't know why it decided to double-post the attachment. Sorry about that.
    Nice approach! Give the very high level terrain type and the players have the enjoyment of seeing details if they enter the hex maybe? Then have to spend time exploring to see if there's anything of interest there?
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 7th, 2023 at 22:23.

That's the plan!

Once the party pops into the hex, I can either hide the hex cover or just delete it. It took forever (likely because I am a bit of a novice when it comes to graphic-editing) to stitch the 4 separate areal maps together and strip out the existing hex grid so I could implement FGU's hexes.

Not to be a leech, Muagen, but you don't happen to have that stitched together map available that you'd be willing to share, do you?

Thread Information