STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Why not a simple whiteboard map system?

My players often do unexpected things. Which I think is pretty normal game behavior. At a live table, I'd just grab a wet erase pen and draw some tree trunks and rocks, or walls, etc. and go.

Looking at useful vtt systems out there, neither seem to have a quick and simple whiteboard style battle mat system.

Simple a few basic/bold pen colors and a line width and eraser size selector. Not much more than that.

You may be able to do this with the current map maker, but it's way overly complex for this sort of quick on-the-fly use case.

1. pick a size (should be able to set a default size).
    2. pick a pen color and width (again, should be able to make a default preference).
    3. draw a few tactically important objects.
    4. drop tokens in from combat tracker.
    5. go

key to being useful, is fast and simple (no million clicks required to get from step 1-5)

All of this is there already. Use the "Paint" option with a map or blank canvas.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I don't want to get into a UI/UX debate. But, to me a simple interface looks more like this.
    1.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (174.7 KB, 45 views)

Try this short video of one approach:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sc3w09rv3d...%20Mapping.mp4
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 11th, 2023 at 21:51.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Yeah that's how I do maps on he fly. I have a compilation of backgrounds I pull from and then draw on them, but quick and dirty to keep the session moving - a few minutes and you're back up and running.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

You are right, that is quicker than I was able to do it. One thing that bothers me is the color picker. I'm r/g color blind, so I love getting a list of 4 or 5 bold primary colors to make a pen out of. But, although not as simple as I'd like, this works for now.

Thanks for showing me this, it's better than I thought it would be.

You can also subscribe to maps from fantasy grounds and most scenarios are catered for.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FGUArtSub.php

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    I'm r/g color blind, so I love getting a list of 4 or 5 bold primary colors to make a pen out of.
    Storing some specific favourites would be a nice addition.

What I do is use the dropper in the bottom left of the "Pick Paint Color" window to re-use existing colors from the map - helps to get the exact color again or match to existing features on the map.

I've also used the Order Tab on the Party Sheet for quick sketched maps. When PC and NPC are dragged from CT, it mostly works the same as a regular map.

Quote Originally Posted by pico View Post
    I'm r/g color blind, so I love getting a list of 4 or 5 bold primary colors to make a pen out of. But, although not as simple as I'd like, this works for now.
    There are solutions to this in UI design! Just display a "translated" color wheel when selected via an options menu.
    https://uxdesign.cc/color-blindness-...s-66c27331b858

Or better yet, use unity to translate onscreen colors which would make maps and such much more accessible.

Thread Information