DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Can't connect to D&D 5e game anymore, get several "unexpected command (xxxxx)"

Hello everyone,

about two weeks ago (January 18th) I stopped being able to connect to my DMs D&D5e game. For other Rulesets it is able to connect into the game but doesn't get any responses (like dice rolls or chat).
    I tried deleting Fantasy Grounds Unity and reinstalling it, but the problem persists. Haven't changed any settings or updated systems (except Fantasy Grounds) as far as I know.
    My operating system is Windows 10, Language settings are Region = Germany, Regional Format = English (germany) and Languages = English (United States).

When I try to connect to my DMs game the progress bar stops and I keep getting errors in the log that say "Unexpected command (xxxxx) received on a client while downloading. My DM said it could be a connection issue on my end, since every other player can connect normally.

If anyone has experienced this before and found a solution please let me know, thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    I remember there being mention of some ISP things going on in Germany and part of Europe. Something to do with a safety law? But I don't remember it's name so can't do a search for it...

There is a general troubleshootin article here that may be of help: Network Troubleshooting - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)

I'm not very good on the network troubleshooting, but it looks like the connection is being blocked by either your router or ISP. But can't really say more than that. Hopefully someone else will jump in with more help for you shortly.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    If you have access to a VPN try connecting to that and then to GM otherwise try with a mobilephone hotspot.
    If these work then it is router or ISP related.
    Reboot router.
    Pray.

It could also be ant virus related. Here's a couple of articles from the wiki to have a look at:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...s+Applications

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...roubleshooting
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you guys, I'll try the ideas and read up. Yeah I've recently seen more things banned/blocked from my access here in Germany, guess it's time to look for a good VPN.

Thanks again.

Banning/Blocking by ISP in Germany/EU is heavily restricted and basically non-existent so I would be much surprised if that is actually the case.

You have some local IP address in your network.log like 127.0.0.1, which indicates looping back to your own device. There are also traces of 192.* address, which also point to a local network. I'd say your local network parameters are not working correctly. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    You have some local IP address in your network.log like 127.0.0.1, which indicates looping back to your own device. There are also traces of 192.* address, which also point to a local network. I'd say your local network parameters are not working correctly. :-/
    FGU goes through a lot of different network checks - which are shown in the log. The IP address that will actually be used is set once the connection is established. So don't read too much into loopback and local IP address ranges in the early part of the log file.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

One player in one of my GMs campaign actually has pretty much the same problem and after hours of troubleshooting I found a way for him to at least play. His housing and ISP situation is a bit more complicated so he doesn't have access to those devices.

The problem was twofold - not being able to connect and if connected nothing loaded (chat, dice, characters).
    The "unexpected error" messages were in our case due to not being able to download the extensions from the GM. After I put all used extensions in the player's extensions folder they were used locally and connection to the game was possible.
    But he still had no dice, chatting wasn't possible, characters wouldn't load. Something was still not working network-wise. Installing a free vpn (ProtonVPN) and reconnecting, he could instantly see everything as normal.

When these sorts of issues happen, there is usually some sort of network hardware that is blocking certain packets, but allowing others through. In our Network Troubleshooting wiki article, one such setting is called SPI Filter, which can block certain types of data packets; or systems such as ad blockers can be attempting to block specific file transfers. Usually, checking with a mobile hotspot connection or a VPN connection will bypass or tunnel through all of these hardware layers causing the issues. If the end user doesn't have access to the devices, then there usually isn't much they can do other than to set up a VPN to tunnel through the restrictive hardware/settings that are blocking specific packet types.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information