STAR TREK 2d20

Unidentified NPC Numbering

Note: I am not sure whether this is fully covered in the base ruleset functionality or whether there are ruleset-specific implementations. Please feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

When unidentified NPCs are added to the Combat Tracker, the names shown there are sometimes not getting the random number suffix, even if there are multiple unidentified NPCs tied to the same bestiary entry.

I am running across this in the Agents of Edgewatch Adventure Path where they have multiple NPCs of the same type in an encounter, but have named them separately. Example: 2 Elite Copperhand Rogues named Burlow and Wisky (Encounter 3.C.13 Basilisk Pen [Moderate 6] in Agents of Edgewatch Book 2 Sixty Feet Down). When added to the Combat Tracker, they both show up as Cloaked Humanoid, which makes it confusing to know which is which on the map.

Does the random numbering only happen if the quantity value of the NPC entry in the Encounter is greater than one? It would be nice if it could take into account both the identified and unidentified names so that there are no conflicts. In addition, it would also be nice if it could take into account creatures already added to the Combat Tracker (since there are times when another Encounter gets thrown in before the first is complete) so that there are never conflicting numbers. I wouldn't mind if creatures are given a number even if they are the only one of their type as it keeps the players guessing as to how many of them there might be.

Moved to the general House of Healing forum as this is present in the base CoreRPG ruleset.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Pretty sure this is the behavior as it has always been. i.e. random numbering only affects when you have a quantity of 2+ in the encounter line/row. When you have unidentified creatures, it pulls from the creature type (if it doesn't have an unidentified name) and FG doesn't try to lump all the same creature types into a pool to then assign random numbers to.

You'll probably want to put the idea on the Wish List. https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

You could look at this extension, it might give names to single instances, I 've not used it that way. Fantasy Grounds Forge

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The implementation of random numbering works to calculate number of creatures with matching identified names. For those creatures, the unidentified names get the identified name number/suffix.

So, it will be the case that if you have creatures with different names but the same unidentified name, then a suffix won't be applied. It's sort of a rare case, so it shouldn't really come up much.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information