DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Can I make cantrips limited use? (Pathfinder 1e)

Hi,
    For a Pathfinder 1st edition game I'm playing with friends we want to house rule limited use cantrips, with the same progression as each classes 3.5 counterpart, but we still want to keep the rest of the pathfinder rule set.
    Is there anyway to mod the game to make cantrips work like regular spell levels, tracking use of each casting?
    I've looked through the .mod files for the core rules and the 'lua files, but I'm not familiar at all with modding fantasy grounds and have no idea where I should be going. I've tried searching the forums but didn't find anybody else having the same issue already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I find any solution to the problem I'll edit this post for the next person who is trying to solve this issue.

That seems like a simple enough solution. I'll do a bit of testing.
    To your knowledge, is this likely to affect other mechanics such as spell DCs or our allocation of 1st level spells?

EDIT: Having tried editing the cantrips to be first level spells it appears to have had no impact. 1st level spells prepared in cantrip slots continue to be expended on use.

I get the feeling that somewhere in the ruleset itself there will be script to determine how spells are used and I can steal some from the 3.5 ruleset to replace the pathfinder part, but I don't even know if that is possible.
    Last edited by Radium July; January 25th, 2023 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium July View Post
    That seems like a simple enough solution. I'll do a bit of testing.
    To your knowledge, is this likely to affect other mechanics such as spell DCs or our allocation of 1st level spells?

EDIT: Having tried editing the cantrips to be first level spells it appears to have had no impact. 1st level spells prepared in cantrip slots continue to be expended on use.

I get the feeling that somewhere in the ruleset itself there will be script to determine how spells are used and I can steal some from the 3.5 ruleset to replace the pathfinder part, but I don't even know if that is possible.
    I think the idea was to add zero level spells to the first level slots in order for them to expend on use. Another suggestion is to add another spell-class by right-click, add your zero level spells to the first level slots of that spell-class and reduce the class's DC by one in order to off set the DC.
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Quote Originally Posted by srbongo View Post
    I think the idea was to add zero level spells to the first level slots in order for them to expend on use. Another suggestion is to add another spell-class by right-click, add your zero level spells to the first level slots of that spell-class and reduce the class's DC by one in order to off set the DC.
    Ah, I see.
    I think I will need to go with the second idea as the first one would really mess up spontaneous casters.
    I would still like to find a way to get proper 3.5 functionality if possible, but at this point I'm not sure that is an option.

Thank you both so much for the help!

Thread Information